Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Five Ways to Beat the Summer Slide

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$9.99
Buy Now

Overview

Session Description:
Summer break is the perfect time for students to relax and unwind after a long school year, however it is also a time when academic learning loss can occur. Join Michelle Dragalin for this time-saving, to the point session as she shares five creative ways teachers and parents can beat the summer slide without using worksheets or tutoring sessions. You will also walk away with done-for-you templates and low-prep activities that will reignite your studentsí love of learning and excitement for the upcoming school year.

Learning Objectives:
  • Discover five ways teachers and parents can beat the summer slide while reigniting studentsí love of learning and excitement for the upcoming school year.

Assessment:
    Participants will join a collaborative backchannel chat and discuss ways to beat the summer slide to demonstrate their understanding of the session objectives and reflect on their learning.
  • Details

Subject: Cross-curricular
    Last aired on: Thursday, April 20, 2023 @ 4:00 PM EDT
    Duration: 30 minutes
    Credit Hours: 0.5
    Categories: Addressing Learning Loss, Assessment & Review , Differentiation & Personalization, Learning Theories & Strategies
    Tags: Academic Recovery, Learning Loss, Student Engagement, Summer

Reviews (17)

Great tips-I really like the library card. Bingo with pictures is good too.
    Basic Member

I thought this seminar had some interesting ideas!

My last bulletin board of the year that I will leave up for summer-schoolers says, "Summer Reading is WAY COOL!" It has Pete the Cat on a yellow pool float reading a book. The pretend book has real book pages and is 3-D, standing off of the board. Pete is wearing holographic sunglasses and the word COOL is in that same shiny poster board. There is a big sleepy sun looking down from a high corner and a hot pink flamingo float beneath it with "Have an awesome Summer!" on it. I hope students will take the hint and keep reading books during the 11 week break.

Thanks!
    Basic Member

I like the common sense message of this training. Little things can make a difference. Sometimes as teachers we can overthink and over complicate things:) Nice, practical tips to help prevent learning loss!

Good information!

very insightful
    Basic Member

Loved the simplicity of Summer learning without any complications:)Sometimes as educators/parents we need that reminder. Less is more:)

Thank you for your insight and sharing.

Lots of fun tips to keep the kiddos involved for the summer!
    Basic Member

great ideas!
    more reviews ...