Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

The Post Pandemic Classroom: Improving the Grading System

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

As we begin to test the waters of returning back to “normal” after Covid-19, we are also holding conversations about why “normal” may be the wrong destination for students, teachers, and parents. Join Dr. Rob Furman as he examines what we have learned about our “old school” grading system as a result of the pandemic. He will also discuss some changes that we should consider making to improve our grading system, including suggestions for how to get started.

Details

Subject: Cross-curricular
Last aired on: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 @ 11:00 AM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Addressing Learning Loss, Assessment & Review , Learning Theories & Strategies
Tags: assessment, grading system, post-pandemic

Reviews (4)

I really liked this webinar because it made me think and Rob has wonderful ideas about the grading system.

I agree with the last review. More of a venting session, not too much really helpful to use. With this in mind, our junior high team came up with a list of student skills for 7th and 8th grade to accompany mastery of learning. I found that these skills which we laminated and had the student attach to their desk top, really helped the students improve their performance on not only content assessment, but peripheral skills that help them develop student skills. These skills changed each quarter. These additional skills and personal communication with students and parents really helped my students to help make their goals clear.

Very little info with a lot of talking. I'd like to hear more about research and data surrounding grading practices.

The webinar did not provide real solutions to the grading problem. Involving and 'teaching' parents to understand the rationale of using a grading system without 'letter grades' might seem like an attainable goal; however, the parent's expectation being a primary factor in a child's education is not as relevant in today's society. The purpose of school (high school in my situation) is to prepare students for the rigor of college. If students are not challenged to meet a set standard of goals, there is little to no motivation to perform. Colleges will not conform to changing grading standards, so why set the student up for failure?
more reviews ...