Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Harness Students' Critical Thinking Skills and Close the Vocabulary Gap

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
Free
Access Now

Overview

Would you like to increase vocabulary comprehension for your K-12 students whether they are students who are struggling or those who are already exceling? Join Beth Lawrence as she discusses the key roles vocabulary, background knowledge, and visuals play in student comprehension. You will learn about a new cognitive-educational construct, Semantic Reasoning (developed by co-founders Deena Seifert and Beth Lawrence) and why it's so important. Beth will also share research, a demo, and testimonials on InferCabulary, a web-based tool that uses Semantic Reasoning, and explain the powerful impact it has on getting students to immediately apply new knowledge to new concepts. In addition, she will show how you can easily create your own Semantic Reasoning vocabulary lessons using Google's free Workbench tool. Come discover how to improve comprehension for all of your students!

SPONSOR: This webinar is brought to you by InferCabulary . For information about InferCabulary and how they make vocabulary visible, please visit infercabulary.com/

Details

Subject: Cross-curricular
Last aired on: Saturday, August 24, 2019 @ 11:00 AM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Addressing Learning Loss, Reading & Writing, Sponsored
Tags: Google Workbench, InferCabulary, reading, reading comprehension, semantic reasoning, vocabulary

Reviews (27)

I just planned a new lesson with my Greek and Latin Roots and thought through how to incorporate pictures into my slides for the day so that students might be able to gain insight into a word through pictures. I like how this also builds their own definition of the word!

Informative.....thank you

Great information!

I learned so much with this presentation! Excellent!

I really enjoyed this webinar! I think it would help me in my classroom with my students to feel successful and keep them engaged.
Basic Member

Great info, but Google Workbench no longer exists.

This has given me a lot to think about and consider when teaching vocabulary. I've never thought about how hard it is for students with a language disability to learn vocabulary with a teacher using language to explain. The pictures and allowing them to look at similarities and differences to infer meaning is awesome! I loved this!

nice job, thanks
+2

Very good thank you

Great information!
more reviews ...