Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Social and Emotional Learning: Engineering Empathy in the Early Childhood Classroom

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

You likely know that emotional development and social skills are essential for school readiness, but you may be wondering why you should include engineering in your early learner classroom or are unsure how it relates to Social Emotional Learning, or SEL. Join Naomi Harm as she explains how incorporating engineering activities can provide real world opportunities for children to empathize, make responsible decisions, actively listen, collaborate, and develop a growth mindset. She will also share some examples of engineering learning examples to support and nurture SEL in your early childhood classroom.

Details

Subject: Cross-curricular
Last aired on: Saturday, July 20, 2019 @ 2:00 PM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Diversity & SEL, Early Learners, STEAM
Tags: Early Elementary, Early Learners, empathy, engineering, PreK-2, social emotional learning, STEAM, STEM

Reviews (29)

Great ideas and information for EC
+9

Great info!
Basic Member

So important!

Great information.

Great information

Thank you for all the ideas and book resources. As a kindergarten teacher I am trying to do a better job with STEM activities.
Basic Member
+3

Great Information!
Basic Member

I like the ideas and link to help empower kids and their problem solving tips.

My district is placing a focus on social-emotional learning this year, and I'm ecstatic. The connection between STEM & SEL is fascinating to me.

I'm going to implement STEM bags with my after school program kids.

And I'm definitely looking into the book titles you shared that encourage kids to tinker, invent, and engineer. Sharing the list with our librarian ASAP!

Also, adding you on Twitter. @TechnoBabble14

It's an interesting link between SEL and STEM - especially the engineering! Great info!
more reviews ...