Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Strategies for Improving Conceptual Understanding in Math

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$4
Buy Now

Overview

Would you like to help your students become better at applying their knowledge and retaining mathematical content? Join Dr. Angela McCord as she takes a deep dive into strategies that move away from teaching solely with facts and algorithms to developing a more conceptual understanding of mathematics concepts. Angela will explore best practices and features of math instruction that promote lasting understanding and fluency. While these practices will work best for grades 3-8, teachers of other grade levels may find them helpful as well.

Details

Subject: Cross-curricular
Last aired on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022 @ 1:00 PM EST
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Addressing Learning Loss, STEAM
Tags: conceptual understanding, grades 3-8, Math, math concepts, math fluency, math instruction, STEAM

Reviews (51)

Basic Member

Informative and gave a clear presentation of true conceptual learning.

Great information
Basic Member

Unfortunately, nothing really new.

Great information!

I never thought of flipping the "I do, we do, you do" strategy. This is great food for thought.

This was good info thank you

Great Information

Very informative and good! I will try to remember to do the strategy of: you do, we do, I do....instead of I do, we do, you do.

We are so used to being in charge we tend to do it all first.
Thanks.

The more this concept replay in my mind it seems like this approach compliments student centered approach to learning and that it can be implemented in other subjects, the concept idea, of educator introduce, the child explore, discussion interaction, directing scholar to the intended goal, guiding then discussing the results, Mmmmmmmm.

This presentation was so very refreshing on so many levels. On behalf of scholars like myself that are wired differently and view that some educators understand to the point of wanting to think outside the box and allow room for us to be included is a breathing moment of relief. To many years of misdiagnosed or rejected scholars……Again thank you for the share as I look forward to learning and bridging the gap in understanding.
more reviews ...