Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Gender and Sex are NOT the Same: Understanding LGBTQ Issues in the Classroom

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

In our diverse classrooms and school communities, it is important we strive to understand and overcome biases so that we can better meet the needs of all students. Within the umbrella of LGBTQ , gender and sexual orientation are grouped together. This continues to perpetuate biases surrounding gender and sexuality. With the growing level of polarization surrounding these issues, how can we, as educators, better understand appropriate terminology, as well as provide a safe space for our students, their families, and our community? Join Megan Fuciarelli as she addresses this question and explores the misconceptions surrounding the LGBTQ community. She will share information as well as resources that can help you continue your efforts in your school and classroom. Come enhance your skills, gain a better awareness of those we serve, and walk away with resources to help unite your community.

Details

Subject: Other
Last aired on: Thursday, May 9, 2019 @ 3:00 PM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Diversity & SEL
Tags: biases, bisexual, diversity, gay, gender, lesbian, LGBTQ, sexual orientation, sexuality, transexual

Reviews (24)

Nice work

The webinar is very informative. At the onset of the school year, I feel this webinar would serve as an excellent resource for faculty and staff. This webinar demystifies terms often used incorrectly, or interchangeably when referring to the LGBTQ community. Although the webinar information is complex, it is presented systematically. Therefore, its explanations and presented terminology can be followed.

I would suggest, for future reference, only a few topic covered within the allotted30 minute presentation. Perhaps the presenter might reconsider, LGBTQ Part I (Gender and Sex are Not the Same) and LGBTQ Part 2 (Understanding LGBTQ Issues in the Classroom). Thank you for all your work in helping students feel safe and accepted in our schools. Looking forward to upcoming webinars.
Basic Member

As a member of the LGBTQIA community, I found this presentation a welcome sight on the webinar panel and was delighted that it's being offered online as a resource. I found a good portion of the material very important to coverit is very difficult to explain LGBTQIA culture in its entirety, as it's so diverse that wrapping it all up in a simple presentation of 29 minutes or so simply doesn't cover every inch of territory. I found that some subjects simply deserved more time and also would love for things to be expounded upon. For one thing, I think that it's pertinent to understand that the use of the term "Queer" while applying to gender can also be used in a sense for sexuality tooHow I've seen the community at large use it in general is that of an umbrella/catch all term that encompasses the many letters/identities/orientations that are part of the LGBTQIA2+ community. The acronym itself contains a number of variations, all of which are important, but sometimes it's easier for folks to simply use "Queer" to mean basically anything attraction and/or identity wise that breaks away from traditional norms and concepts. It's also important to understand that non-binary/genderqueer identities are also types of transgender identities, even though they do not fit into the concept of the gender binary. I think that it's also imperative that it be made aware of the importance of breaking down attraction that much further-Sexual attraction and romantic attraction are not inherently one in the same, and there are many romantic asexual and likewise sexual aromantic people whose experiences would be erased from this simplification. Likewise the ambiguity of the term sex, I think, deserves a bit more of a break down, as there is sexual orientation and then sex (biological characteristics). Inclusion of Intersex identity is also pertinent here. I was grateful that alternative gender systems like the Hijras of India were cited in this. Overall I would say that I rate this experience positively, though being the complexity of the material, I think that a longer format or a series would be ideal :). Thank you to all you are doing to make sure that our youth feel comfortable, validated and safe.

OMG. I consider myself a very educated educator about LBGTQ issues, but I learned so much from this lesson. Thanks for going over the basics of vocabulary. The most instructive part was about the laws in each state. THANK YOU!!
Basic Member

Great information.

Very informative. Thank you,
Basic Member
+3

Very informative
Basic Member

I really feel like I learned a lot. Thank you.
+9

Really interesting.

Thank you for this clear, much needed and detailed information.
more reviews ...