Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Using Non-Fiction Literature in Early Childhood

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

Non-fiction sometimes gets a bad reputation for being complex and unstimulating, especially with younger learners - but it doesn't have to be! Join Leigh Anne Kraemer-Naser as she provides suggestions for choosing high quality non-fiction that will engage learners and reinforce your classroom instruction. She will cover the various text features of non-fiction, as well as provide an overview of instructional objectives. Leigh Anne will also share ideas for classroom activities that will help give purpose to using non-fiction texts in your early elementary classroom.

Details

Subject: Language Arts
Last aired on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 @ 3:00 PM EST
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Early Learners, Reading & Writing
Tags: books, early elementary, non-fiction text, nonfiction. PreK-2, reading

Reviews (21)

I have always found that some students who have an interest in a certain topic are the ones who reach for the non fiction books even at a young age. Due to this, having a wide range of topics available to meet many students interests and giving choices may help students move from fiction to non fiction easier. It is definitely true though that students don't get the kind of exposure to truly make them successful in k-3 in most curriculums/districts.

I find the children in my K5 class very interested in non-fiction books. They are very inquisitive. They like hearing the big words and finding out what they mean. As mentioned in the webinar, it should be used in the younger grades, as by the time children get to 4th grade 50% of their reading materials are non-fiction material. By introducing non-fiction items earlier, it will be an easier transition.
Basic Member

My son was interested in a lot of Non-Fiction books in his early years. His teacher asked if I could get him to look into Fiction more. 8 years later I see him loving the mechanics of putting things together and looking for answers to issues in many different areas.

This is great information on how to incorporate nonfiction into all areas of learning. I have found my boys especially are attracted to nonfiction literature,
+8

Is there away to share her presentation, please? I agree with the presentation. We need to make students exited for non-fiction as well as we make them exited about fiction. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thank you!

Thank you!
Basic Member

Great webinar about non-fiction in early childhood!

Having student to draw pictures about the stories makes the content come alive.

Non-fiction books are a great resource in early ed!
more reviews ...