Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Makerspaces for the ELA Classroom

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

Makerspaces are not the domain of Science and Math classes alone. ELA classes can also benefit from using maker activities in their classrooms to engage students and help them use their skills and creativity to create new and interesting ways to demonstrate understanding. Join Nicholas Provenzano as he shares the different ways that he has worked Makerspaces and Making into his ELA classroom. He will explain how using Project Based Learning as an assessment tool will lead to higher student engagement and provide students with an opportunity to demonstrate their understanding of the content covered in class. Focusing on the 8 aspects of The Maker Mentality; dreamer, fearless, passionate, inclusive, hacker, storyteller, artist, and trueness, Nick will explore how the Maker Mentality can be implemented in any ELA class to support student making.

Details

Subject: Language Arts
Last aired on: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 @ 6:00 PM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: STEAM, Tools for Student Projects
Tags: ELA, English, maker mentality, Makerspaces, making, PBL, problem-based learning

Reviews (13)

+2

Thank you for sharing the information and resources. Love the comment...Everyone can be creative!
+8

Interesting! I think middle and high school will love it.

His video link to a project was dead. I went to his lesson plan link for drama and it's not there.
He emphasized project based learning, especially interpretations of literature using dance, photography, and movie making. My students have done those for years (decades actually). He says that the writing process is the making process. I agree. I didn't get much new out of this video. It was a good reminder of techniques that have worked for me, like playdough for fidgeting and playlists for characters.

great
+8

Excellent presentation.

Very interesting. This concept could be used for any subject matter if adequate time permits.

Makerspaces is great in my science class. Thank you

great

Good info

Awesome information! 😄
more reviews ...