Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Beyond ABC's: Creative Ways to Teach the Alphabet and Pre-Literacy Skills

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

Being able to read well is often a key component to academic success - and it is never too early to start developing and strengthening the pre-literacy skills of our early learners. Join Leigh Anne Kraemer-Naser as she provides an overview of the major milestones in early literacy development from toddler through PreK. She will also share strategies for teaching the alphabet, phonemic awareness, and pre-literacy that will include whole group activities, center ideas, games, and music. Leigh Anne will also give tips and recommendations for choosing appropriate alphabet books. Discover creative ways to help some of our youngest learners.

Details

Subject: Language Arts
Last aired on: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 @ 3:00 PM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Early Learners, Reading & Writing
Tags: alphabet, Kindergarten, literacy, phonemic awareness, Pre-K, pre-literacy, PreK

Reviews (54)

A good review of the difference between phonological awareness and phonics and the steps to move from one to the other.

Wonderful information to take back to my classroom. Thank you

This was a great review of what I learned through Reading Recovery and Tyner Method!!! Thank you!!!

Very well done webinar.
Loved all your slides and examples - thank you

loved it!

Loved it! Some very helpful tips about things that we forget about such as the Y N Z in the alphabet.

This was beneficial. This will help me with the weak readers that I tutor, especially second language learners.

Thank you for remind us of the importance of sounds and the difference of identifying decoding skills with letter sound recognition. It helped me to make the connection to EL students that need to take a course in sounds. I have seen this, but you have also spelled it out for me with the ability to recognize and name the sound they can hear.

Thank you! You presented some great points and ideas!

Most interesting statement: What is the difference between singinh the alphabet and knowing the alphabet?
more reviews ...