Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Getting Started With Makerspaces and STEAM

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

STEM, STEAM, and Makerspaces are hot topics in education these days, but many educators are unsure how to get started with them, or think they don't apply if they don't teach math or science. Join Meredith Martin as she briefly covers the difference between the terms and talks about different types of spaces that can be utilized for classroom and school-wide Makerspaces. She will also explore some of the tools and supplies needed and provide examples of maker projects. You will discover not only how to get started with Makerspaces, but also how to tie makerspace activities in with standards, integrate them with various content areas, and so much more!

Details

Subject: Cross-curricular
Last aired on: Saturday, October 13, 2018 @ 10:00 AM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: STEAM, Tools for Student Projects
Tags: fablabs, maker projects, makerspaces, STEAM, STEM, tinkering

Reviews (33)

I loved this one! Great ideas to get started and to just have around. Start small. Donít overwhelm yourself.

Thank you!

The prompt to have students walk around their local environment to observe issues they could address was inspirational - would love to establish a real 'maker culture' in my school. Also like the idea of 'movie trailers' to review books - and the recommendations at the end of the talk were wonderful - I have several books and items I want to investigate. Great talk! Thanks.
Basic Member

I loved your presentation it was very helpful.

Excellent. A lot to think about.

great

This webinar introduced very interesting and innovative concepts which call for originality and creativity. Seeing fourth graders design and make their own bookshelves must be very exciting for the students. The ideas were certainly diverse from traditional teaching. As a 12th grade literature teacher, a few ideas on teaching language arts particularly subjective writing and classic comprehension would have been very appealing. Mrs. Deborah Asselta, Richland, New Jersey

I love the mystery bag idea.

Very informative. Can't wait to try some of the ideas.

I found this webinar very helpful. The components in the webinar were very organized and easy to understand. I was very excited to see that I was already doing something on the "Where" to implement...the Mystery Bag! I was taking notes, so I would have liked a few more minutes to write down information about "Much More," "Resources," and "Subject Specific Ideas."
more reviews ...