Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

The Parent Protocol: A Plan for Talking about Sensitive Issues with Parents

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

Teachers and parents alike often approach conferences with apprehension or nervous fear, especially if problems or difficult issues need to be discussed. Proper planning, forethought, and empathy can go a long way in helping to ease those tensions. Join Leigh Anne Kraemer-Naser as she discusses the Parent Protocol, a planning tool that allows teachers to carefully choose how they are going to present a sensitive or problematic issue to parents. She will cover choosing how to invite parents to a conference, presenting information in an objective yet empathetic manner, and using reflective listening techniques to confirm parent responses.

Details

Subject: Cross-curricular
Last aired on: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 @ 12:00 PM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Communication & Collaboration, Counseling, Special Education
Tags: communication, handling difficult issues, listening, parent conferences

Reviews (56)

Great tips!

Good information
+1

Great reminders and suggestions! Thank you for sharing!

Great suggestions and resources. I like the suggestions about letting parents know who will be involved in meetings.Thanks
+5

Great, tools for parents - teacher communication...

This will be very helpful! I liked all her suggestions when dealing with defensive parents.

Thank you Leigh Anne for your clear and right to the point presentation. Parents know when a teacher has their child's best interest as a priority. Mutual teacher's/parent's respect and deep listening is essential for a fruitful collaboration.
Patricia Britz

I loved this webinar. It had concrete and specific suggestions for accomplishing a difficult task. I loved her focus on being respectful of the parent, even in how the invitation is issued.

Thank you for the detailed suggestions.

Thank you so much for this great presentation as a teacher and a parent it helps to go through the plan to respect all concerns.
more reviews ...