Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Raising Readers: Promoting Literacy Development at Home

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
Buy Now

Studies show that parental involvement is highly correlated with student success, but convincing a reluctant, struggling, or discouraged reader to read outside of the school day is often difficult. In this highly practical session, join Terry Dobson and Heather Baptie as they show how you can help eliminate homework battles with a blend of traditional and digital tools. They will share a "tradigital" tool box of easy-to-implement strategies and resources can be used at home or at school to build confidence, develop literacy skills, and foster a love of reading.

Subject: Other
Last aired on: Thursday, August 4, 2016 @ 12:00 PM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: ESL/ELL, Reading & Writing, Response to Intervention (RTI), Special Education
Tags: Blended Learning, Differentiated Instruction, ELL/ESL, Home School Connections, Learning Disabilities, Literacy Development, Parent Involvement, Personalized Learning, Reluctant Readers, Struggling Readers, UDL

Reviews (47)

Great Information!
Very helpful, especially the reading websites and app, will definitely check them out. THANK YOU!
I absolutely found it to be very helpful in giving me, as a fourth grade teacher, some information to share with my parents during Curriculum Night. Thank you so much.
A great resource!
Thank you for sharing this great information. I agree that no matter what the age is a child still enjoys when you read to them. I have a 13 year old son and we will agree on a book and take turns reading. I enjoy that we get to bond and that we are both doing something we enjoy.....reading.
great ! I love to read ! I think reading to kids is so important. Thanks for all the great resources
Great resources shared! Thank you.
Great info!
more reviews ...