Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Literacy Strategies for Gifted Readers

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

Do you ever find it challenging to keep your advanced and gifted readers engaged and excited about reading materials, assignments, and goals? Join Dr. Vicki Caruana as she discusses the unique characteristics and needs of advanced and gifted readers and explains how teachers can engage accelerated readers at their levels with helpful strategies and ideas. She will explore several myths and truths about gifted readers, as well as ways to meet accelerated reading program goals. Vicki will also offers way in which you can differentiate learning for the advanced and gifted readers for whom you still need to show growth.

Details

Subject: Language Arts
Last aired on: Thursday, September 8, 2016 @ 4:00 PM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Learning Theories & Strategies, Reading & Writing, Special Education
Tags: accelerated readers, advanced readers, gifted, reading, reading strategies

Reviews (37)

It gave you different things to think about and ways to differentiate with the gifted readers. The sound would go in and out at times.

This had a lot of helpful information. I did have trouble with the sound however.

Thank you! This was a wonderful reminder to focus on the higher readers too! I really loved some of the extension ideas you provided and cannot wait to incorporate them in my classroom.
+8

Excellent presentation.

I really enjoyed this, thank you! I sometimes focus so much on the struggling readers, that I need to remember the gifted readers need opportunities, too. Thanks!

Gave me some new ways of reaching gifted readers. Gained a new perspective. Thanks!

Talented readers have responded well to:
Alternative ways to express what they know, high interest literature geared toward the studentsí reading levels rather than age, instruction geared toward the studentsí strengths,
use of higher level questioning and opportunities to incorporate prior knowledge in reading experiences. Nice presentation, thank you for your insights.

New perspective to challenge the Gifted reader. Thanks!

Very good information and I agree with MsKittylhawkste about a follow up with the video of seeing it in action.
Basic Member

As a follow up, I would love to see video of some of these student reading groups in action, where the teacher's guidance or set up is evident, yet the students are having authentic discussions. Lots to think about. As an art teacher I love teaming up with the classroom teacher to do physical hands on projects that reflect their learning or interpretation of their readings.
more reviews ...