Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

First Week of School

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
6 years ago
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their back to school ideas?

I switched to a new school last year and a lot more changed than the district and address. Previously, I would start with introducing myself, our classroom rules, and challenge them with Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken." Then I would spend the rest of the week reviewing rules and completing multiple intelligence testing and activities.

Well, This didn't go over so well at my new school. In fact, none of the positive enforcement activities went over so well, including a bell to get the students to refocus. Most colleagues smiled and wished me luck, but no one really had anything to share other than we each do things differently and don't smile until Christmas.

So, ANY and ALL advice is welcome!

Thanks in advance!!!
+10
6 years ago
What grade do you teach?

I teach middle school, I agree and disagree with the dont smile till christmas. The Kids have to know you mean business but you can smile and do that. But I know lots of new teachers need to be stricter...

My procedure is...

Team building, build relationship with the students. Be consistent and have high expectations.

One of my biggest down falls though and the kids figure it out is bathroom breaks. I had a 6th grade student pee their pants once and that devastated me, so I am probably to lenient on this.

I go over a few rules the first day in a fun way, I do not give a seating chart until week two and I tell them what they are doing know determines the seating chart I am going to make but that I want to know them more before I make the seating chart. If needed I move a student during the first week.
+10
6 years ago
Did you see there is a webinar about the first day of school... maybe that would be helpful. http://community.simplek12.com/scripts/student/webinars/view.asp?id=1051

+8
6 years ago
I agree with you! I will have a survey to know a little bit your students and definitely clear rules from day one.

6 years ago
Thanks so much for the replies!

I teach seventh and eighth grade ELA. I previously taught self-contained ESS/SPED to sixth, seventh, and eighth grades. At my previous school, I was a second mom to my students and it work really well. At my new school, that did not work at all. I spent most of the year starting over which was very frustrating. All but one of my classes loved me. But that one group of students who wanted to make me quit. So, I'm very uncertain of my skills because of this.

So, here I am second guessing what worked at least twice.

I have created all of my rules and procedures and I am refining my consequences and rewards. I just want to start the year off right.

I'm going to check out that webinar now.

Thanks again!
+8
6 years ago
How many years are you teaching? I will suggest you to watch the webinars about class management and also look under the shared resources. Are you in Pinterest? http://pinterest.com/mgomezdelatorre/boards/

Here are my boards! I have some good pins for class management, first day of school, organizing your class, common core , Language Arts. Check them out. Don't worry, this is a great community and we will support each other. If you have questions create a forum and somebody will respond with create tips.

Anything that I can help you, please let me know. I know that we are connected so that you can send me an inbox. It will be my pleasure.

Mariel

Basic Member
6 years ago
I am kind of in the same boat, just under different circumstances. I am a first year teacher, just graduated in December, and I suddenly feel panicked and clueless. I don't know why, I am just drawing blanks. I want to do the get to know and classroom management bit and review it throughout that first week, but I'm feeling very unsure of myself. I am teaching 2nd grade, which was always my dream grade, and it's a little scary going into this. My CP during student teaching never let me do anything except plan and teach. He did all the assessments and things on the computer. Naturally, I feel a little lost in that aspect. I am HUGE on planning, planning, planning and being organized. That isn't just in school/work, but in all aspects of my life. I haven't quite figured out how to go with the flow and relax. I have plans and backup plans and plans for the backup if that fails haha!
Basic Member
+6
6 years ago
Ms. Sheets, it’s okay to feel all that you are feeling at this time (panicked and clueless). However, there are "seasoned/veteran" teacher to help you overcome these feeling. You will be fine. Just remember 2nd grade is an awesome grade to teach, and you will be an awesome teacher. Your school has a “Lead” teacher, use this person to help and guide you through this new school year.
Basic Member
6 years ago
Quote from Gail Hall
Ms. Sheets, it’s okay to feel all that you are feeling at this time (panicked and clueless). However, there are "seasoned/veteran" teacher to help you overcome these feeling. You will be fine. Just remember 2nd grade is an awesome grade to teach, and you will be an awesome teacher. Your school has a “Lead” teacher, use this person to help and guide you through this new school year.

I really hope I get that kind of support. I'm not so worried about the teaching part as I am about everything else. Thanks for the encouragement!
Basic Member
6 years ago
You will do a wonderful job! Teaching elementary is much different than teaching middle or high school. Your students look up to you on the first day of school. Be yourself! Students can "call you out" if you are a fake at any level! Be honest with them if you need to figure something out together. 2nd grade is a fun grade to teach b/c they aren't babies, but are young enough to have fun with whatever you plan! Enjoy your year!
First
Page 1 of 2
Last