Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Students should use their smart phone in class! What is your opinion?

First
Page 1 of 11
Last
+7
8 years ago
I think that we are not taking advantage of students using their own smart phone in class. They still doing it without us notice it. I think it is time that they use their own device for our advantage. We need good polices on how to use it, make them responsible and use it in a responsible way too.

What is your opinion?

Basic Member
+9
8 years ago
Quote from Mariel Gomez de la Torre
I think that we are not taking advantage of students using their own smart phone in class. They still doing it without us notice it. I think it is time that they use their own device for our advantage. We need good polices on how to use it, make them responsible and use it in a responsible way too.

What is your opinion?

I agree but my district would not... They take more ownership when it is their device. My son has a smartphone and his graphing calculator on the phone cost me 4 dollars, but the one he is allowed to use in class which is a regular graphing calculator cost me 90 dollars.

When they are out in the open and being used for class instead of in their pocket or hoodie, texting we would be able to monitor things better.

Our district will not go for this...
+7
8 years ago
Same problem with mine, I agree with you. If they are in the opening, we will be able to monitor better. There are some problems, but we could find a common ground for the use. I guess soon or later school system will allow students to use their own devices.

Basic Member
+9
8 years ago
I agree the technology of the telephone is there to use. The cost is so much more prohibitive when we buy the object such as a calculator. The cell phone is out there and i think as part of role in educating good citizens we need to teach students how to use these moblie devices apprproapriately. I am hoping that the new schools that our school have commissioned will take this into consideration as they plan.

Last updated: 8 years ago

Basic Member
+2
8 years ago
There are BYOD (bring your own device) initiatives. One way that Smartphones that could be utilized is a student response system.

i.e. Socrative

Available not only for android, iOS, but also web based.

Getting the technology into the hands of the students is the ultimate goal, and if we can get them into their hands through a BYOD model, then all the better.
Basic Member
+9
8 years ago
I completely think we should gear our teaching to allow students to use their smart phone and other personally owned technologies. Our school district is trying it out if a few schools to test the drain on the network/bandwidth. In the classes were it is being used, kids are more engaged and test scores were higher (per those teachers). Additionally, they report less behavioral issues.
Basic Member
+9
8 years ago
I have noticed in the past few days that i have used my smart phone for almost everything except call. Not only that my husband gets tired of the fact that my ipad is always with me, but you know the only real problem with it is that i need more storage. A situation that will be soon resolved. We need to encourage the admin to let our students bring their devices to school. Perhaps we could have their parents sign a release.

Last updated: 8 years ago

Basic Member
+7
8 years ago
Our school has just started allowing students to use their devices in school during specific times of the day (i.e. before and after school and during their lunch period). It is up to the teachers whether or not they allow devices to be used in the classroom.

I find it a bit overwhelming. There are so many different devices and so many apps/programs that can be used. It is hard to decide whether or not to incorporate the devices mainly because not all students have devices. I believe the extra effort to incorporate the devices even in small ways will be well worth it. I am learning so much via these Simple K12 webinars.

I guess the best plan of action will be to start small and grow gradually...

Basic Member
+3
8 years ago
I too think that in some classes the use of smart phones would keep students engaged and perhaps lower some of the problems connected to texting etc. the problem I see is that not every student has a smart phone. What does the school do then? The use of their own devices is a plus because, in my experience, when students use their own things the take care of them, have more ownership, etc. Our school is also considering allowing the use of smart phones during school. We already allow high school kids to use phones before, after, during passing from class to class and during lunch. If you stand in the hall as the bell rings you will see those phones come out, so why not make use of what the kids already have? Having the parents sign some sort of waiver that holds the school and teachers blameless if their child does or goes to sites they shouldn't would be a start.
Basic Member
+7
8 years ago
My school has not implemented BYOD...yet. I had students bring their own devices to work on creating videos on STEM careers at the end of the year. Here is a link with some of the examples (scroll to bottom) http://teacherweb.com/OH/Waverly/penrod/apt51.aspx

I had students work in groups, and usually at least one person had a smart device. Other groups had several, so students shared contact info and messages pictures to each other for the project. We were cut sort on time for our project due to outside circumstances, but many of my groups stayed engaged with the project even AFTER grades were exported for the year.

Several groups that did not have devices used windows movie maker in our computer lab.
First
Page 1 of 11
Last