Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Social Distancing in classroom

First
Page 1 of 1
Last
2 months ago
Hi!

Was wondering what people's thoughts were about setting up their classroom with the new social distancing and how are you going to do small group learning?
2 months ago
Hi! I teach at a middle school in Florida. I think it will be almost impossible to keep the kids with that social distancing... I am honestly very nervous about going back to school... I just hope things will change and we can stay at home with distance learning.
2 months ago
I am in Louisiana, and currently is still be discussed about how we will return in phase 2. It seems like were going to have a split schedule, so 12 kids in a class versus 24. My principal said "static" groups have to stay together. I teach first so normally I try to mix higher and lower students at a table for peer learning. I'm thinking now to pull a group I can only pull kids in the same static group. There is still a lot of unknown, but right now I have my tables set up with 6 desk. We normally do a lot of going by the smart board and back to our tables before Covid, but I think I'll have painter tape on the floor with a neon sticker on top so students know where to sit. Each table/static group will have flexible seating that will stay at their table for about 2 weeks. It's all plastic so can be sanitized daily and throughout the day. Maybe leave 2 tables closest to white board, and call other 2 tables to sit on floor for smart board. Use painter tape to mark of different quadrants or areas in the room where your group can go. It's definitely going to be a challenge especially since I have a one window room. If you have a larger room, the use of hula hoops and pool noodles could be helpful to create boundaries. Mindfulness lessons about hands off of face and how germ spreads. I have 5 to 7 year olds (wiggly tooth age), and just general they like to put hands in their mouth. We used to do shared supplies, but I'm working on tubs for each table and writing names on pencils. We basically we'll be cleaning a lot. Having 12 a day versus 24 will make it easier. I've been teaching dance with 16 and the kids are good about not touch. The hands in the mouth is still a problem, but Germ X and hand washing will be our new normal. We don't get recess, breakfast in the classrooms, no library, no lab (every child is supposed to be supplied with a computer), but they're on backorder. But I've been looking online, and checking out forums like this one. Open for new ideas and seeing some creative ones. Using pencil grips and I have dividers, but they are not clear. We start in early August, so I'll let you know how it pans out.
+4
2 months ago
I'm very concerned. I normally see groups from 30 - 37 in music class. There is no way that we will be able to social distance and the school district is not requiring masks for students. Plus I am super concerned about how I am going to teach my required instructional objectives without singing, playing the recorder or sharing materials. I have been trying to get DonorsChoose projects through to have a class set of ukuleles that I could clean. Right now, I only have enough for 24 kids, not 37... Also, I completely forgot to plan how to store the instruments or get tuners; so, I have 3 more projects before an early August start.
+3
2 months ago
My admin moved my desks, still waiting to hear from them regarding small groups. I teach first and we need to do RTI and small groups. Right now we are set up for 20 but could have 30...
+2
2 weeks ago
I teach music, as well and we are on a fully virtual schedule for the 1st nine weeks. My classes vary in size and I teach at 8 schools. I may have 7 in one class and 30 in another. For social distancing, I will have to see what my classes and class space look like in my different schools. If I have a large classroom, I will put painters tape on the floor for seating. If smaller, I'll do the same, but split the class into alternating weeks. It isn't ideal, but it's gonna have to work.
+4
2 weeks ago
Very good question. I really don't see how this will happen unless students are on a computer in a breakout room.
First
Page 1 of 1
Last