Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Google Meets versus Zoom

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
2 months ago
Hi! Which platform do you prefer for virtual lessons and why?
+3
2 months ago
I personally like Zoom better than Google Meet for the following reasons:

1. Zoom offers: Basic Chat, Raise your hand features, Voting Yes?No feature, Reactions feature, and the capability to send instant messages to the entire group or to certain individuals. Whereas, Google Meet only provides basic Chat.

2. Zoom provides the ability to share screens, record your session, use the Whiteboard feature as well as the ability to use annotations. Whereas Google Meet only provides a screen sharing feature as well as the ability to only record share.

3. Zoom allows you the ability to mute a person, mute an entire room, disable the chat feature completely, you can remove a person from the session, you can close your room to attendees as well as offer a waiting room to join at the host description. Google Meet only provides the ability to mute and/or remove a person.

4. Zoom offers File sharing in its Chat feature, it offers Breakout Rooms allowing for smaller attendees to form groups to discuss items, and Zoom provides you the ability to have a password protection feature to join a session in which is great for keeping hacker out. Google Meet doesn't offer any of these services.

Zoom definitely outweighs Google Meet.
+1
2 months ago
I have had a better experience with Zoom as well
+7
2 months ago
Hi!

Good question! Though Zoom is a great tool, to have all the advantages mentioned above, you have to pay (or the school has to) and that is an inconvenient in countries like mine, where the value of the dollar is extremely high. I can use the free 40' version though sometimes is not enough.

Meet is good, cannot complain and I guess they should move a bit forward. The positive side is that it is inside Classroom and there is no need to use anything external.

Smiles from Argentina, Maria :)
Basic Member
2 months ago
Do you have the basic version or a school-paid upgrade?

I did not have the break-out rooms or questionnaire option for my class, but when we took a virtual field trip to Calaveras Big Trees in CA, (I highly recommend it if they do it again!), we realized what we were missing.

Thank you!

Kim
+7
2 months ago
Quote from KimSmith
Do you have the basic version or a school-paid upgrade?

I did not have the break-out rooms or questionnaire option for my class, but when we took a virtual field trip to Calaveras Big Trees in CA, (I highly recommend it if they do it again!), we realized what we were missing.

Thank you!

Kim

Hi, I guess that only the paid version has all those features. One of the webinars about ZOOM given here was about all that and unfortunately I was not able to implement them as my account is the basic one.

As regards GMeet, now it has widely opened to everybody so it is good and it can be used freely.

Smiles, Maria :)
+1
2 months ago
So Google Meets is a free platform?
+1
2 months ago
try to set your zoom account with a school email. there may be different features available on the free zoom when connected with a school district.
2 months ago
I prefer Zoom because of the simplicity of getting on and using it. However, our school has made Google Meets the option that we should choose. Not that it was "required," however, we were pushed to do Google Meets for our class and staff meetings.

There are differences that I see with both but one main thing that I do like about Zoom is that I can see myself within the class and not as a small block in the corner as in Meets. I don't know but I do not like that.

The other difference is that with Google Meets, it is required to have everyone with a Google account and even if yes we all DO HAVE our Google account with the school address, there is always a possibility that the Google account may or may not work for a student and so they cannot enter the Meet.

I use Zoom for family meetings even if after 40 minutes it closes out. But I have found that if I schedule the meeting, I can just start it again with the same code and not have to send another code for each session.
+1
1 month ago
We started our distance learning this past school year with Zoom and then we required to change to Google Meets because of security reasons. Personally, I found it a lot easier to teach with Zoom. Being able to mute everyone at once was an answer to prayer. Also having the ability to unmute them was very helpful. The only plus with Google Meets was that the link for our class was in our Google Classroom.
First
Page 1 of 2
Last