Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Is New Shaming Happening Online?

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
+3
2 months ago
Is there such a thing as "headphone shaming" or "background shaming" on our Zoom calls with students? Is a student with cheap headphones less likely to engage in Zoom classes than a student with expensive AirPods? Does a real or virtual background affect a student's willingness to engage?

Do we have guidelines for students (and teachers?) which address distracting backgrounds and noises in Zoom meetings? Do students know that they should not use voice changers? Even positive classroom rules which teachers could share with students (I will keep my background clear of clutter. I will share my real self (name, face, voice). Etc.) would be beneficial.
2 months ago
I've never seen or heard of any shaming on line, probably because I teach at a Title 1 elementary school and our students don't usually have things like airpods. But I really like your idea of having norms for class. Often times the kids decide to start playing with the buttons and hide their picture, talk over others, etc. I will be sure to introduce norms next school year. Thank you!
2 months ago
Quote from tracy.aurand@nisd.net
I've never seen or heard of any shaming on line; - I can only imagine that some students will begin to nitpick about almost anything online. Just one more area where diligence and attention to detail will be part of the remedy.
+1
2 months ago
Wow Never really thought about this but I can see it becoming a thing if this virtual learning continues.
+7
2 months ago
Quote from g.winters
Is there such a thing as "headphone shaming" or "background shaming" on our Zoom calls with students? Is a student with cheap headphones less likely to engage in Zoom classes than a student with expensive AirPods? Does a real or virtual background affect a student's willingness to engage?

Do we have guidelines for students (and teachers?) which address distracting backgrounds and noises in Zoom meetings? Do students know that they should not use voice changers? Even positive classroom rules which teachers could share with students (I will keep my background clear of clutter. I will share my real self (name, face, voice). Etc.) would be beneficial.

I agree we need norms for going on line. I can see some kids can feel bad about their home as they could be clutter etc. Solution we could create your online classroom send them a picture and tell them they need all of them have this as their background. I can see some of my students that might not want to share their home for multiple reasons. I think this could be a solution
Basic Member
+3
2 months ago
Wow! This is a whole different kind of bullying, isn't it? We are implementing video conferencing norms with our students that deal with things like location (no private areas, including bathrooms or in bad) and modesty in clothing. I have attached a screenshot of a portion of some great guidelines that were shared with us. I will try to upload it as a resource.

Last updated: 2 months ago

+3
2 months ago
Thanks for the excellent resource. This is new for almost everyone. We need all the help and support we can get.
+7
2 months ago
Quote from Mrs. Henry
Wow! This is a whole different kind of bullying, isn't it? We are implementing video conferencing norms with our students that deal with things like location (no private areas, including bathrooms or in bad) and modesty in clothing. I have attached a screenshot of a portion of some great guidelines that were shared with us. I will try to upload it as a resource.

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
+7
2 months ago
Quote from ni10gale41@yahoo.com
Thanks for the excellent resource. This is new for almost everyone. We need all the help and support we can get.

As this is something new and I guess something that will stay in some capacity, yes we need to be aware of all of this.
4 weeks ago
It seems like it might be better to allow students to see the teacher, but not each other in most cases.
First
Page 1 of 2
Last