Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Creating a Maker Space

First
Page 1 of 1
Last
Limited Access Member
1 month ago
Anyone have resources they can share on creating a maker space in a K-8 school? We would like to start one, but are not sure where to start. Thanks!
1 month ago
Start by saving milk tops, the tops of squeezy pouches, paper towel/toilet paper tubes, or anything else you could think you could build with if you are looking to save some money. Depending on the topic/time of year for your classroom challenge your students to build different things. During the summer months they could build something to keep them out of the sun, during Christmas they could try to build Santa sled. If you have a very creative class let them decide what to build. Maker Spaces can take up lots of room while the students are working on projects. Maker space projects can last for a few days to much longer.
1 month ago
As an Elementary School Art teacher, I have had a Maker Space for a very long time. At the beginning of the school year I post a list of odds and ends that would be great for our classroom. Cardboard, toilet paper rolls, cereal boxes, leftover material from sewing projects, wallpaper, you name, arrive throughout the whole school year. I don't always have one of everything for a common project but my students use most of it up. This past year I started working together with our technology teacher on STEAM projects and it was great.
First
Page 1 of 1
Last