Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Distance Learning

First
Page 1 of 6
Last
7 months ago
I am surprised we are not talking about this in a forum! This is uncharted territory for most of us. How are you feeling? What is working for you? What area do you still need to better yourself? Do you have any plans for next year yet?
+3
7 months ago
Valid discussion!

Watching many of the google webinars here helped me with distance learning. However, I know there is so much more to learn. As we look back on these past two months, I am sure SimpleK12 will put up more webinars as well as seek member feedback- I hope anyways.
+3
7 months ago
Also, I think online anything will become more common. I need more help with ways to engage students as well as get them all online together. I did a webinar tonight where the presenters did breakout groups that were randomly chosen by computer. That would he helpful.
7 months ago
I agree that Simplek12 webinars are helpful. That is why I became a member. But, I also believe a discussion between colleagues will be helpful and practical as well. For example, my district here in California is talking about a possibility of distance learning to begin our new school year. I teach transitional kindergarten where we spend the first trimester focusing on SEL. What does that look like when I have not built the relationships with each child that I normally build? How do I do that through distance learning?
7 months ago
I just ordered a camera for my interactive board. I am thinking possibly using it to video a handful of children in class with me while the rest interact from home.
+3
7 months ago
The camera is a great idea. Moving to distance education has been a learning experience. I sought out so many resources to assist with the process. A website I came across was Teach4theheart (https://teach4theheart.com/). They sent an email with a concise virtual rules that I could use with my middle schoolers. This is just one example of tools. I also agree with your comment about collaboration-just discussing with you in this thread opens up dialogue for us and others. We, as teachers, need to collaborate.
7 months ago
I have had the same concerns about meeting the SEL needs of our elementary students. Our district has had a policy of using the first three days of school strictly for building relationships. I know it can be done online as anything is possible but it will require a lot of ingenuity.
+7
7 months ago
Hi to you all! It is good to discuss this idea as SK12 has teachers from different parts of the world. Most of you are (here in this discussion) are from the US and you are lucky enough to end the school year soon. You will have some time to relax and to think how you will manage the next year.

Here in Argentina, our school year goes from March till December so when all this COVID started, we had had only 2 weeks of school. Since then, we have worked online.

What situations have we faced? Teachers learning how to use technology and students with no technology access of any kind. No matter where we live in the country, the disparity between our students is too high. Even though the national and provincial government have created educational websites, we teachers have to create classes for students we don't know. We are working double time and in a day like today (May 26) we are on "virtual strike" as our provincial gov has decided to change our retirement laws.

I've returned to SK12 so as to keep on learning and seeing how I can increase my students' papers and works. I truly believe that SK12 is the best way to increment our knowledge as there are thousands of material/resources and webinars to make our lives much better.

Smiles from Argentina, Maria :)
6 months ago
I took a look at the teach4theheart.com website. I would like to put out there that even though this website is a christian website, a lot of the ideas can be used in a public school setting.
6 months ago
Good point that we are from all over the world. How are you doing? I can't imagine.
First
Page 1 of 6
Last