Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Virtual Learning

First
Page 1 of 6
Last
+3
4 months ago
Dear All,

Our school was recently closed from now until April 9th. What advice, tips, etc. would you give to our teachers who are experiencing virtual learning for the first time?

I appreciate any help you could provide.
4 months ago
Kids and people in general are very social beings. Everyone wants to feel included. Establishing routines is very important. I have been teaching middle school science at a virtual school for the past 5 years. Our students have classes and homework similar to our brick and mortar counterparts. I have read that Zoom is offering its software for a free trial during this time. It would be great if you could take advantage of this and hold some virtual classes or extra help time. This will allow the kids to feel connected to each other while maintaining social distancing. Providing work for them to do will also help keep them focused and feel a sense of purpose. It will also help their parents keep and maintain some sense of focus so the transitions back to school will not be a rough. This is not a vacation and I think the kids will start to realize this as the days go on.
4 months ago
We are all delivering lessons through Google Classroom. I have been integrating Khan Academy and Study.com into my lessons as they allow for some customization, and they are reliable platforms.
+5
4 months ago
I have been using Google Classroom as well. Student love our Google meet sessions as well. Can post work there and give a visual lesson to those who may need it. Also, it gives the students that social distancing contact that they have been missing.
+3
4 months ago
We have been using Google Classroom at our 4-12 school. Additional resources vary by grade level:

4-5 is using Discovery Ed Techbooks, MobyMax, BrainpopJr., and AR

6-12 is using TedEd, Khan Academy, CK12, and a few others

DE and AP classes are using Moodle and College Board resources

The best advice I can give anyone diving into this is don't start something from scratch! Our students are all using tools they have been accustomed to in the classroom. There are a few exceptions at the high school level, but not many. Stick to what you and the students know and take it slowly. We normally have 50-minute classes and are sticking to 20-30 minutes of instruction.

Our teachers are so good, but they are tired after a few days of this new normal. We are making every effort to overcommunicate to keep parents and kids in the loop. We took other schools' advice and established specific contact hours to encourage rest for students and teachers.
Basic Member
4 months ago
This will allow the kids to feel connected to each other while maintaining social distancing.
Basic Member
4 months ago
I have Google Classroom however, I have not used it much and I find myself needing to so, here I go. :)
+5
4 months ago
Oh, you will love using GC. It is very user friendly. Good luck!
+3
4 months ago
Thank you for sharing these. We use Khan Academy as well, but study.com we have not yet explored.
Basic Member
4 months ago
Could someone with experience with an external classroom provide a sample class schedule/routine? I would also appreciate any tips you can provide for designing a successful online class. Thank you!
First
Page 1 of 6
Last