Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Mental Health Days for Students

First
Page 1 of 1
Last
+9
1 year ago
This is a news article by Associated Press: Oregon teens successfully advocate for mental health days for students

Mental health is such a huge issue, but I find myself having mixed feelings about allowing students days off from school for a mental health break... Does missing school help with the issues at school that's causing the need for the break? Your thoughts?

https://newsela.com/read/oregon-students-mental-health/id/54533/?utm_source=aotd&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=test-1&utm_content=news-2
Basic Member
1 year ago
great work.
+5
4 months ago
Thank you for sharing this information:)
Basic Member
5 days ago
My friend was just looking for this information. Thanks
5 days ago
Awesome resource, thank you for sharing.
3 days ago
Hey Debbie,

I strongly support this idea and thanks for sharing the article! In High School I generally never got sick enough to miss school and only skipped days when I needed a mental health day. My mother would allow me to do this and I knew if I abused it I would lose the ability to take a day off when I really needed it. A lot of the time I would use these days when I felt really overwhelmed or that I just really didn't want to go that day. I set a limit for myself that I could do this once a semester and I knew I would be in charge of making up anything I missed. I really feel like it significantly helped me when I felt overwhelmed and just needed to catch my breath. So many students today are under this extreme amount of pressure, even at a young age. Being able to identify emotions and when a break is needed is a great skill for any student to develop. Adults do this all the time by scheduling time off of work in order to take a break and not burn themselves out.
+1
3 days ago
Thanks for sharing. We should be more alert of our kids' mental health now. During the last months, we all have adjusted to a new "new". This quarantine has added more anxiety, fear, or depression to some kids and adults while others have adjusted very well.
Basic Member
+4
3 days ago
I agree with you TDee!! Most of the kids in my community are afraid to go back to school.
First
Page 1 of 1
Last