Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Mental Health Days for Students

First
Page 1 of 3
Last
+9
2 years ago
This is a news article by Associated Press: Oregon teens successfully advocate for mental health days for students

Mental health is such a huge issue, but I find myself having mixed feelings about allowing students days off from school for a mental health break... Does missing school help with the issues at school that's causing the need for the break? Your thoughts?

https://newsela.com/read/oregon-students-mental-health/id/54533/?utm_source=aotd&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=test-1&utm_content=news-2
Basic Member
2 years ago
great work.
+5
1 year ago
Thank you for sharing this information:)
Basic Member
1 year ago
Awesome resource, thank you for sharing.
1 year ago
Hey Debbie,

I strongly support this idea and thanks for sharing the article! In High School I generally never got sick enough to miss school and only skipped days when I needed a mental health day. My mother would allow me to do this and I knew if I abused it I would lose the ability to take a day off when I really needed it. A lot of the time I would use these days when I felt really overwhelmed or that I just really didn't want to go that day. I set a limit for myself that I could do this once a semester and I knew I would be in charge of making up anything I missed. I really feel like it significantly helped me when I felt overwhelmed and just needed to catch my breath. So many students today are under this extreme amount of pressure, even at a young age. Being able to identify emotions and when a break is needed is a great skill for any student to develop. Adults do this all the time by scheduling time off of work in order to take a break and not burn themselves out.
+1
1 year ago
Thanks for sharing. We should be more alert of our kids' mental health now. During the last months, we all have adjusted to a new "new". This quarantine has added more anxiety, fear, or depression to some kids and adults while others have adjusted very well.
Basic Member
+4
1 year ago
I agree with you TDee!! Most of the kids in my community are afraid to go back to school.
+5
10 months ago
Quote from TDee
Thanks for sharing. We should be more alert of our kids' mental health now. During the last months, we all have adjusted to a new "new". This quarantine has added more anxiety, fear, or depression to some kids and adults while others have adjusted very well.

Yes this article is very relevant for our current teaching situation and COVID 19.
10 months ago
Thank you for sharing this article, I worry about our students' mental health these coming years. Praying for guidance and knowledge to assist them during COVID.
10 months ago
Thank you so much for sharing this article. This is a great idea for all schools. I also shared this with a close friend of mine who lives in Oregon.
First
Page 1 of 3
Last