Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Early Childhood Numeracy Skills

First
Page 1 of 1
Last
+1
4 months ago
For the last few years, I have had a larger number of kindergarten students struggle to learn the names of numbers above 4 out of sequence. In order for these students to recall the name of the number, they have to mentally count from the number one. I am reviewing and researching the developmental progression of learning number sense and wondered if anyone else is noticing this developmental gap with incoming kindergarteners. Has anyone found a teaching strategy that helps?
+2
4 months ago
I am teaching first grade at the moment but have taught Kindergarten in the past at a Montessori school. I used many different hands on materials, (sand paper numbers, sandbox writing, counters, etc.)

One of the process's that worked for my class was called the three period lesson. I would begin the lesson as follows:

"This is the number 1" or " This is the number 5" etc. I would have the students repeat the number and trace it while saying it with the sandpaper numbers or by showing the numeral while including the correct amount of counters. (Never showing more then 2 or 3 numbers at a time)

The second lesson would be where the student would show me they could recognize the number.

Example: " Show me the number 1?" The student points to the number one or builds the number 1. " Show me the number 6?" The student points to the number six or builds the number 6. etc.

Once the student was able to recognize the numbers. I would see if the student could remember the numbers.

Example: Holding up a number card, "What is this number?" Student replies with name of number.

Depending on where the student was at in the learning process, I would repeat each stage until the student was ready for the next.

Sometimes the students were able to catch on quick and were ready for a new lesson and at other times it took a lot of repetition.
+1
4 months ago
Thanks for the ideas, I also found information about The WoodinMath Number System that also has some interesting teaching strategies. Hope you have a great school year.
4 months ago
Thank you for the helpful tips. I will have to try it this upcoming school year.
3 months ago
I use Touchmath to help my young students obtain number concepts as it is multimodality. I add in additional hands on activities such as gluing one item to the page for number one. The program has early number readiness sheets that I use to also develop auditory memory and fine motor development.
Basic Member
3 months ago
good
First
Page 1 of 1
Last