Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Word Walls

First
Page 1 of 1
Last
+10
3 weeks ago
Hi Everyone!

I've been doing a lot of research on word walls recently, so I can help teachers with this at all grade levels. Does anyone have any advise or any personal strategies you've used to ensure word walls are effective at all grade levels?
3 weeks ago
Hi Debbie! I teach kindergarten and I keep an alphabetized magnetic word wall on the white board so that my kinders can use the words to create phrases and sentences, starting with simple sentences and expanding into more complex sentences as more words are added. We add words that are not in the word list by writing/dictating them. This has greatly increased their excitement to use the words and their engagement with the words they are learning.
3 weeks ago
Hello,

The school I teach at we use Spalding. The students enter words into a notebook that are used for spelling words. I encourage the students to pull these out and use them. The only time they are not allowed is during a test. I have found students will remember if they learned this word before, or they ask a neighbor and the reply will be, " we learned that already look in your book, or "it rhymes with ___ and we learned that word.

It is not a "Word Wall" but a personal diary of words.
+10
3 weeks ago
Quote from Jenraft
Hello,

The school I teach at we use Spalding. The students enter words into a notebook that are used for spelling words. I encourage the students to pull these out and use them. The only time they are not allowed is during a test. I have found students will remember if they learned this word before, or they ask a neighbor and the reply will be, " we learned that already look in your book, or "it rhymes with ___ and we learned that word.

It is not a "Word Wall" but a personal diary of words.

I love this idea. Thank you for sharing!
+10
3 weeks ago
Quote from ttrahan@stmike.net
Hi Debbie! I teach kindergarten and I keep an alphabetized magnetic word wall on the white board so that my kinders can use the words to create phrases and sentences, starting with simple sentences and expanding into more complex sentences as more words are added. We add words that are not in the word list by writing/dictating them. This has greatly increased their excitement to use the words and their engagement with the words they are learning.

That sounds like fun. I like the idea of being able to manipulate the words. Thanks for sharing!
3 weeks ago
Hello,

I love using word walls with my students. The magnet ide is one I want to try. I have used long strips of velcro to allow the students to manipulate the alphabetized words that are adhered to the trifold boards with Velcro. The Velcro allows for easy movement and replacement. The trifold boards allows for the boards to be moved around the room and used at different stations.
+10
3 weeks ago
Quote from rborkoskietter@olgcschool.org
Hello,

I love using word walls with my students. The magnet ide is one I want to try. I have used long strips of velcro to allow the students to manipulate the alphabetized words that are adhered to the trifold boards with Velcro. The Velcro allows for easy movement and replacement. The trifold boards allows for the boards to be moved around the room and used at different stations.

I like the velcro ideas also. Thanks for sharing!
First
Page 1 of 1
Last