Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Hello, new here and almost new teacher

First
Page 1 of 1
Last
4 months ago
Hi, I am Kristi. I am completing my credential program as a single subject English teacher. I am also starting a new career at 57. I have been trying to get an internship and have had little to no success. I had a few interviews early on in March but, nothing since.

I have now switched up and am looking for student teaching. It is late to make the switch and there is a possibility that I will have to wait a year.

I have been subbing for four years and recently left the job I had for several reasons, one was the low pay.

I was wondering if anyone has ideas about getting intern jobs, I live south of Los Angeles, which is too far for me to work in.

Anyway, I plan on taking classes and webinars to add to my resume and because I love to learn.

So, again, hello!
4 months ago
Hello, Kristi. Don't get too stressed about the quiet since March. Spring testing can slow interviews down. As the year ends it may pick up. Good luck with your search! It'll all work out. You'll see!
+8
4 months ago
Quote from kristi.heckman@gmail.com
Hi, I am Kristi. I am completing my credential program as a single subject English teacher. I am also starting a new career at 57. I have been trying to get an internship and have had little to no success. I had a few interviews early on in March but, nothing since.

I have now switched up and am looking for student teaching. It is late to make the switch and there is a possibility that I will have to wait a year.

I have been subbing for four years and recently left the job I had for several reasons, one was the low pay.

I was wondering if anyone has ideas about getting intern jobs, I live south of Los Angeles, which is too far for me to work in.

Anyway, I plan on taking classes and webinars to add to my resume and because I love to learn.

So, again, hello!

Dear Kristi, Welcome to Simple K12. Normally principals start looking for interviews around May and June as they are in the last days of schools and it is stressful days for them. This is a great place to learn technology with subject area and get ideas. Keep knocking doors! Have you ever thought in giving classes online to Chinese children? They pay $20 an hour?
+8
4 months ago
Quote from nvaughan
Hello, Kristi. Don't get too stressed about the quiet since March. Spring testing can slow interviews down. As the year ends it may pick up. Good luck with your search! It'll all work out. You'll see!

Totally I agree with you. It is the same here in NC.
4 months ago
Thank you both. I have looked at teaching Chinese, I see so many companies and wondered if they were legitimate. There is one that requires a 6 month contract and pays real well. I go back and forth on that, fighting the inner voice. I am starting a sewing class at the local community center. I have wanted to do this for along time and have enough time right now to do so, it wont hurt my resume either.

As for interviews, I get notices that they have already filled the jobs. That is all but ones that closed since June 20.

Now that I know that the Chinese teaching jobs are not a hoax, I will look into those as well. And will start learning what I can here.
Basic Member
4 months ago
Hi, I am Kristi. I am completing my credential program as a single subject English teacher. I am also starting a new career at 57. I have been trying to get an internship and have had little to no success spanish dictionary. I had a few interviews early on in March but, nothing since.

So, again, hello!

Normally principals start looking for interviews around May and June.

Last updated: 4 months ago

+8
4 months ago
Thank you both. I have looked at teaching Chinese, I see so many companies and wondered if they were legitimate. There is one that requires a 6 month contract and pays real well. I go back and forth on that, fighting the inner voice. I am starting a sewing class at the local community center. I have wanted to do this for along time and have enough time right now to do so, it wont hurt my resume either.

As for interviews, I get notices that they have already filled the jobs. That is all but ones that closed since June 20.

Now that I know that the Chinese teaching jobs are not a hoax, I will look into those as well. And will start learning what I can here.

I have a friend that she was working in public school but she decided to stay at home taking care of her son. She is working teaching English to Chinese students. She works for this company:

https://t.vipkid.com.cn/
+8
4 months ago
Quote from ianbrooks
Hi, I am Kristi. I am completing my credential program as a single subject English teacher. I am also starting a new career at 57. I have been trying to get an internship and have had little to no success spanish dictionary. I had a few interviews early on in March but, nothing since.

So, again, hello!

Normally principals start looking for interviews around May and June.

I agree with you!
+8
4 months ago

I have found another company. Another friend is working with this company. She is making good money and only working 3 hours a day.

Turn your home

into the classroom

Teach English online with DaDa

https://www.dadaabc.com/teacher/landing?referrer=N5K5J5H5J50d&fbclid=IwAR3Zbn-kE_IjGo0m_OA_Nw8A1pe7zQ9LgKmBhQ5-LXB7UUpPERgw1giX2FM
+8
4 months ago
VIPKid Online English Teacher - Earn up to $22/hr

https://en.islcollective.com/tesl-tefl-jobs/job/vipkid-online-english-teacher-earn-up-to-22-hr/2491?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=VIPKid_English_Teachers_Ad18&fbclid=IwAR2R_bdyIpM1W9tpxg5lAsf-UA97JAGS7s5PNbt-98SDEPafiohlSCE19us
First
Page 1 of 1
Last