Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

STEAM or STEM lab

First
Page 1 of 4
Last
2 months ago
I am going to be teaching a STEAM lab this year for K-6 students. Any type of information or guidance would be greatly appreciated for either STEAM or STEM. How did you set up your lab? What curriculum did you use? What type of pitfalls to avoid? How did you get your supplies? I was planning on using Coding with my students also. I feel comfortable with the coding part of the STEAM lab. thanks so much
Basic Member
2 months ago
Itís easy to get confused and think STEM is only about geeks in lab coats or disciplines that have long names no one can pronounce. STEM is something everyone can learn and benefit from. STEM is an approach to lesson planning that presents lessons in an interdisciplinary way.
+2
2 months ago
Quote from RamonaLovegood
It?s easy to get confused and think STEM is only about geeks in lab coats or disciplines that have long names no one can pronounce. STEM is something everyone can learn and benefit from. STEM is an approach to lesson planning that presents lessons in an interdisciplinary way.

"Despite these compelling facts, mathematics and science scores on average among U.S. students are lagging behind other developing countries. STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. STEM is important because it pervades every part of our lives. Science is everywhere in the world around us."

https://www.engineeringforkids.com/about/news/2016/february/why-is-stem-education-so-important-/
+5
2 months ago
Quote from E Ortiz_ofs
It?s easy to get confused and think STEM is only about geeks in lab coats or disciplines that have long names no one can pronounce. STEM is something everyone can learn and benefit from. STEM is an approach to lesson planning that presents lessons in an interdisciplinary way.

"Despite these compelling facts, mathematics and science scores on average among U.S. students are lagging behind other developing countries. STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. STEM is important because it pervades every part of our lives. Science is everywhere in the world around us."

https://www.engineeringforkids.com/about/news/2016/february/why-is-stem-education-so-important-/

Nice article... I agree that we need to step up our teaching game here in the USA.
+2
2 months ago
Quote from Profe Moreno
Quote from E Ortiz_ofs

Nice article... I agree that we need to step up our teaching game here in the USA.

Here is an interesting article:

What international test scores reveal about American education

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-center-chalkboard/2017/04/07/what-international-test-scores-reveal-about-american-education/
Basic Member
2 months ago
Quote from Shelli Burks
I am going to be teaching a STEAM lab this year for K-6 students. Any type of information or guidance would be greatly appreciated for either STEAM or STEM. How did you set up your lab? What curriculum did you use? What type of pitfalls to avoid? How did you get your supplies? I was planning on using Coding with my students also. I feel comfortable with the coding part of the STEAM lab. thanks so much

When you use coding with your students what type of coding do you use? I used SCRATCH with my students last year, but looking into other options!
+2
2 months ago
Quote from Maura Forsberg
Quote from Shelli Burks

When you use coding with your students what type of coding do you use? I used SCRATCH with my students last year, but looking into other options!

Simplek12 member, Norma A.

Posted this relavent article:

Plan Engaging STEM Lessons: STEM Lesson Plan Template {FREE}

https://mathgeekmama.com/stem-lesson-plan-template/
2 months ago
There are a lot of great resources for coding online, codeacademy for instance is a great way to teach students about a number of different coding languages.

As far as physical labs I kind of play things by ear. There are a number of great resources on youtube that involve stem/steam activities (check out thekingofrandom, backyardscientist, and markrober on youtube).
+1
2 months ago
Thanks for sharing - looks awesome!
2 months ago
thank you will look into it:)
First
Page 1 of 4
Last