Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Dear Teachers, Please Go Home

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
+7
2 years ago
I was reading this article today: http://teacherhabits.com/dear-teachers-please-go-home/ which it makes sense. We need to have a break after students go home. I agree that starting earlier in the morning is more productive to try to do it in the afternoon.

What do you prefer to do? Do you stay after school or earlier in the morning?

Do you agree or disagree with this point of view of this article? What is your best advice?
2 years ago
For many years, I stayed up to 7 pm, but I found out in the last couple of years that I go home earlier and take a break is better. Now, I come as earlier as I can or rest and start working at 7 or 8 for a couple of hours and I do much better. I guess I agree with the article. Take a break is better! It is more productive.
Basic Member
2 years ago
My best advice is to do what works best for you as an individual. For some people, staying after school to finish up work and leave their home time free is the best option. Others may need a break at that time. There is no "one best option" for everyone, and your own best answer may be different at different times of your life.
Basic Member
2 years ago
This was a great article. I am usually at work at least 45 minutes before my students arrive. I see this time as my time to prepare for the day. Since I began doing this, I rarely stay after school to work on anything. I agree that emotionally it is essential that we make time after school for our family.

Last updated: 2 years ago

Basic Member
2 years ago
I agree that there is "no one best option for everyone". My current school starts @ 7 AM, so it's hard to come early (my apt is a 5-minute walk from my classroom door). One thing that was not brought up in the article is coordinating schedules with the rest of one's family. Our schedule of coming and going has had to change and adapt to changing circumstances. So, I go early and stay late. But, as I become more familiar with the material (I switched from JH/HS Spanish to 2nd grade! inclusive), I will be able to leave earlier.
Basic Member
2 years ago
I am one that use to stay really late after school when I first started teaching. However, now a days if I do stay after its usually only about 30 mins at tops to finish something up, organize for the next day or to laugh off the day with my coworkers. I love teaching but once my time is up I switch gears and concentrate on my outside life. Personal time is just as important as planning for the job and arriving early allows for a fresh look at the day and all the extra items needed to tackle it. To me being early helps me focus on the rest of the day. It is better to take a break!
Basic Member
2 years ago
Taking a break for outside activities and relationships certainly helps avoid burnout.
+3
2 years ago
I go in early - 7 AM & leave around 3:30 PM.
Basic Member
2 years ago
But what happens when you don't (can't) get everything done during your day? You're in front of students for 6 of the 8 hrs and have meetings etc. in the other 2, then grading, planning, etc. It's impossible to get done in 8 hrs - but expected to be done by admin.
Basic Member
1 year ago
Don't fret. Everything eventually gets done in time. Worrying leads to early burn out. Do what you can; but you always need time for yourself.
First
Page 1 of 2
Last