Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Why Is EmpathyTough to Teach?

First
Page 1 of 1
Last
+2
2 years ago
Empathy may well give rise to compassion but compassion does not require empathy.
+4
2 years ago
From our Psychology courses, I remember learning about how children start life focusing on self and then learn to extend their world to others. Perhaps that plays a part in this.
+2
2 years ago
Quote from MSouderSpanish
From our Psychology courses, I remember learning about how children start life focusing on self and then learn to extend their world to others. Perhaps that plays a part in this.

Thank you for sharing this insight with us.

Also, thank you for contributing to this thread.
Basic Member
2 years ago
In many ways, I think empathy is tough to teach because so many students come to school on survival mode. They are protecting themselves from abuse, hunger, bullying and so on. They have a hard time focusing on others needs. I also think we have as a society allowed others to be self focused on their own needs and not address others needs.

When my own children were young, I made sure we helped the homeless, took in unwed mothers, helped at church and so forth. This helped them look beyond their own desires and see how they could help others. They still help those in need or who may just need a leg up to be successful.
+5
1 year ago
I agree. There are set times/ stages that humans are able to develop these skills. Very hard for them to gain skills when they aren't ready for it
First
Page 1 of 1
Last