Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Maximizing math time

First
Page 1 of 1
Last
Basic Member
3 years ago
Our middle school has 45 minutes for each class period. Last year the math and ELA were double blocked, but that resulted in quite a bit of un-utilized time, so we went back to one period with an intervention period once or twice a week.

Anyone have ideas on how to maximize that 45 minutes? Some teachers are really having trouble downsizing.
Basic Member
+4
3 years ago
It sounds like flipped/blended learning might be a good option for some of the teachers. That way, the students gain background knowledge before entering the classroom... allowing teachers to maximize the face-to-face time with students.
+7
3 years ago
Quote from AHolmgreen
Our middle school has 45 minutes for each class period. Last year the math and ELA were double blocked, but that resulted in quite a bit of un-utilized time, so we went back to one period with an intervention period once or twice a week.

Anyone have ideas on how to maximize that 45 minutes? Some teachers are really having trouble downsizing.

I love this idea. I think if you can make smaller group during intervention, we could help more kids. These required the effort of everyone involved.
Basic Member
+6
1 year ago
Quote from AHolmgreen

I teach middle school math and each class is 90 minutes with four 45 minutes interventions in replacement of study hall. So we get study hall once a week (Fridays)
+7
1 year ago
Quote from cmiranda...
Quote from AHolmgreen

I teach middle school math and each class is 90 minutes with four 45 minutes interventions in replacement of study hall. So we get study hall once a week (Fridays)

Have you thought in integrating Math and arts?
Limited Access Member
5 months ago
We had a similar change in our grade level, where certain content area blocks were shortened/lengthened to accommodate a changing schedule. One change we made was to shorten our math time, but to lengthen our science time. With this change, the two classes are now balanced in time. Because of this, our science curriculum picked up our math measurement unit because it easily fits into the science classroom. I just took a couple of webinars where I learned about some new resources that I plan to incorporate this year. PBS Learning Media focuses on science, but incorporates measurement, so this will fit perfectly into our science time. Now that we are one-to-one with Chromebooks, the use of technology helps me to differentiate for students, which also helps me to maximize my face-to-face time with students. I use IXL.com to differentiate for students, and will continue to use that site this next year. Concord Consortium also provides students with math/science projects, so I am hoping to use that site to tie the two subjects together to maximize my time.
5 months ago
"One change we made was to shorten our math time, but to lengthen our science time. With this change, the two classes are now balanced in time. Because of this, our science curriculum picked up our math measurement unit because it easily fits into the science classroom."

I really wish our middle school would share the every-other-day math period with the science period. Indeed, there is math embedded in science, so it makes perfect sense. I just about get the kids going on an investigation, and BAM, we have to clean up because the bell is going to ring (and I have another bunch of kids coming in for my next class). We have 43 minutes each period (with an extra few minutes 1st period for announcements).

Last updated: 5 months ago

5 months ago
I would really like to learn how to delete a post (if that is even possible). For now, I am just typing this because I ended up duplicating my response from above and cannot figure out how to delete it...

Last updated: 5 months ago

+9
5 months ago
Quote from VeganDeb
"One change we made was to shorten our math time, but to lengthen our science time. With this change, the two classes are now balanced in time. Because of this, our science curriculum picked up our math measurement unit because it easily fits into the science classroom."

I really wish our middle school would share the every-other-day math period with the science period. Indeed, there is math embedded in science, so it makes perfect sense. I just about get the kids going on an investigation, and BAM, we have to clean up because the bell is going to ring (and I have another bunch of kids coming in for my next class). We have 43 minutes each period (with an extra few minutes 1st period for announcements).

I know several grade level teachers struggling with this scheduling issue. And then you try to fit in other things like special education time and therapy; it's tough! I would like more information on creating master schedules.
+9
5 months ago
Quote from VeganDeb
I would really like to learn how to delete a post (if that is even possible). For now, I am just typing this because I ended up duplicating my response from above and cannot figure out how to delete it...

All I can see is how to edit a post. I guess you could edit and leave "Deleted" as your comment. ;-)
First
Page 1 of 1
Last