Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Is your school culture Toxic or Positive?

First
Page 1 of 4
Last
+6
3 years ago
Toxic or Positive?

Which term describes your school's culture?

A toxic school culture

* blames students for lack of progress

* discourages collaboration

* breeds hostility among staff.

A positive school culture

* celebrates successes

* emphasizes accomplishment and collaboration

* fosters a commitment to staff and student learning.

I see myself as a Positive person for the most part but do occasionally get drawn near the Toxic side when near some negative peers and some of the students who choose to see school as more of a burden. Overall, I believe all is possible in creating and showing such persons the bright path to a positive outcome and future. Would love to hear others feedback.
+8
3 years ago
Quote from deckhardt
Toxic or Positive?

A toxic school culture

* celebrates successes

I see myself as a Positive person for the most part but do occasionally get drawn near the Toxic side when near some negative peers and some of the students who choose to see school as more of a burden. Overall, I believe all is possible in creating and showing such persons the bright path to a positive outcome and future. Would love to hear others feedback.

I am like you. I am a positive person and my relationship with parents and students is fantastic. I have great colleagues and if someone is in the negative I just get far away.
Basic Member
+2
3 years ago
I think it is important that the positive staff members assertively set the tone and model a positive culture. Encouraging others and building on the positive is key. Don't get sucked into the negative conversations and actions. Be Proactive and Positive.
+8
3 years ago
Quote from jdavid
I think it is important that the positive staff members assertively set the tone and model a positive culture. Encouraging others and building on the positive is key. Don't get sucked into the negative conversations and actions. Be Proactive and Positive.

I had heard Dr. Anthony Muhammad.

Great lecture and read his book about Transforming School Culture. I highly recommend it for this summer reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Transforming-School-Culture-Overcome-Division/dp/1934009458
Basic Member
+10
3 years ago
Quote from deckhardt
Toxic or Positive?

A toxic school culture

* celebrates successes

I love this "toxic" or "positive" terminology.
Basic Member
+10
3 years ago
Positivity is an asset and worth the investment. :)
Basic Member
+10
3 years ago
A positive approach is best and most widely used where I live. However, that toxic bother seeps in when one is looking for fault or blame. Recognizing then actively engaging ways to make positive happenings is the imperative area where our energies must lead. Negativity is toxic and must be avoided or squashed! :)
3 years ago
Our school is so positive. We believe in the power and love of Jesus Christ. We do our best everyday to share the positivity and love of Jesus and it overflows into the attitudes of our students ultimately creating a strong sense of intrinsic motivation.
Basic Member
3 years ago
Positive! Teachers are so supportive of each other, admin has your back, and the love of Christ is shown throughout!
Basic Member
3 years ago
With a few weeks into summer vacation, I believe I can thoughtfully answer this question - my school is toxic, trying to become more positive. Our previous principal was excellent at creating a divide between the faculty, favoring some and bypassing others for PD opportunities, grant involvement, and extending invitations to after school get-togethers.

Our current principal just finished his first year and have pulled back on the micro-managing. He talks about how student issues are all the faculty's issues, but still blames the teachers for poor test scores and lack of student engagement (his buzzword). He keeps pushing solving our students' psychological-emotional issues onto the faculty, waiting for us to solve the problem rather than lead us to solve the problem together.

Are there any suggestions for helping students with psychological-emotional "problems", not an alternative learning program? He has shot down this suggestion even though our high school and elementary schools have these, but not my middle school.
First
Page 1 of 4
Last