Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Planned Student Vacations

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
4 years ago
How do other teachers handle the student or family in elementary school that declares that they are going on extended vacation and requests lesson plans in advance so the student will not fall behind?
+8
4 years ago
I teach 5/6 and I will usually give them a journal and tell them to write and draw about their vacation on a daily basis. I also have them choose a book to read while their away.
4 years ago
I give them what I can so they can do the work ahead of time.  It is a major inconvenience for me, but it is better than trying to catch up when the student gets back.  I would much rather they plan vacations that are not during the school year.
Basic Member
4 years ago
I am preschool teacher and I prefer to add hobby during students vacations. This is time where they can enjoy themselves during vacation time. They can even find other activities which they can add.
Basic Member
+10
4 years ago
Quote from whitebi@fortmillschools.org
How do other teachers handle the student or family in elementary school that declares that they are going on extended vacation and requests lesson plans in advance so the student will not fall behind?

If the request is approved by admin, then I share general information and remind them to attend to the weekly newsletter and other mediums used to keep the learner, parents/caregivers, and others abreast of our instructional outline. Hope this helps.
Basic Member
+10
4 years ago
Quote from kbteach2
I teach 5/6 and I will usually give them a journal and tell them to write and draw about their vacation on a daily basis. I also have them choose a book to read while their away.

Great outreach. Reading is learning. I might even have them choose a book related to a current unit of study and have the student prepare a presentation (written or digital) for sharing upon their return to school. The presentation would, of course, include a parental signature stating that the student read and prepared the presentation on their own. :)
Basic Member
+10
4 years ago
Quote from shellyl
I give them what I can so they can do the work ahead of time. ?It is a major inconvenience for me, but it is better than trying to catch up when the student gets back. ?I would much rather they plan vacations that are not during the school year.

I agree that extended vacations during the school year lead to many challenges. Planning vacations that comply with the district's calendar work best. In the event of vacations planned on school days, an online delivery of lessons and student reflections would be an asset. Also, a general syllabus with units of study for the year would be beneficial and require the student to do the work and parents/caregivers to monitor then sign a contract stating that the student performed the study. :) Check in the SimpleK12 community for digital programs that would support electronic submission of academics.

Last updated: 4 years ago

+2
3 years ago
We use on online system called GradeConnect. Grade Connect is a web-based course management system. Its primary feature is an online gradebook (which automatically calculates quarter grades). Grade Connect allows teachers to post assignments and announcements and email students in bulk.

So if the student's family plans, then they can check to see what has been covered in class.
+6
2 years ago
That is the perfect way to impress upon students that they will be learning something every day of their trip while still allowing them time to enjoy it!
+2
2 years ago
Quote from mikblank
That is the perfect way to impress upon students that they will be learning something every day of their trip while still allowing them time to enjoy it!

Upon the student's return, it is their responsibility to meet with the teacher to determine "due dates." - Keep in mind that I teach in a Secondary System.
First
Page 1 of 2
Last