Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Decorum and Motivation

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
Basic Member
+9
4 years ago
I have seen many different decoration ideas in the classroom. The colors are sometimes matched and at other times expand beyond the colors in a rainbow. Do you think that classroom decor color affect student learning? Affect student behavior/focus?
Basic Member
+7
4 years ago
Yes, I believe color can affect students learning. Many stores and airlines use colors to calm or motivate its customers.
Basic Member
+9
4 years ago
Quote from Clpickett
Yes, I believe color can affect students learning. Many stores and airlines use colors to calm or motivate its customers.

I agree with your response. Great points. Thanks!
Basic Member
+2
3 years ago
OMG! YES!!! if it doesn't look inviting and lived in, my classroom isn't ready for students to enter.

I want bright colors, great quotes, inspirational and educational materials on the walls.

There is nothing more depressing than a clinical or cold classroom with no personality or materials which make people want to come in and stay for a while.(Even if your subject isn't their favorite! lol)

Once the school year begins I also include student work on the walls to let them be in on the decorations.

We also use the hallways too. If what the students do, can teach others in the halls as they walk down them every day, then that's the two birds with one stone method... Woo-WOO!

Last updated: 3 years ago

Basic Member
+4
3 years ago
I think decor and colors are vital elements of a positive learning environment. That's what makes a classroom feel welcoming, inviting, and safe. Student work samples are a great way to bring the classroom walls to life and to showcase the learning happening in the classroom. I think teachers have to be intentional with decorating... ensuring that the decor is engaging, not distracting.
3 years ago
We're currently using a Door-Decorating Contest with the theme of

"Thanksgiving/Being Thankful" as motivation for K-12 classes to connect with the meaning behind the upcoming holiday. Love to see how creative the students & their teachers are as they focus on the theme.
Basic Member
+2
3 years ago
That's great idea.

A bit late for me to implement this year.
Basic Member
+2
3 years ago
I teach on the secondary level.

Most of the classrooms, mine included,

are lacking. What advice do you have that

could be used in a high school classroom?

Last updated: 3 years ago

3 years ago
My best advice is to keep it simple. Most of my supplies are found in the clearance bins of craft stores, Wal-Mart, etc., so once I have a concept or theme in mind (this year it's polka dots), I incorporate that in my office as well as on my door & hallway bulletin board. As a counselor, I'm frequently using themes intended to catch the eye of students passing by or coming to see me. Right now with my "Turkey Trivia" door for our contest, I've had 3rd graders giggling at the goofy turkey, juniors reading the random trivia facts, & adults taking photos to share w/others. That door cost me nothing to make!

If you're not on Pinterest, check it outgreat source for ideas.
Basic Member
+2
3 years ago
Quote from asyria@watersmeet.k12.mi.us
My best advice is to keep it simple. Most of my supplies are found in the clearance bins of craft stores, Wal-Mart, etc., so once I have a concept or theme in mind (this year it's polka dots), I incorporate that in my office as well as on my door & hallway bulletin board. As a counselor, I'm frequently using themes intended to catch the eye of students passing by or coming to see me. Right now with my "Turkey Trivia" door for our contest, I've had 3rd graders giggling at the goofy turkey, juniors reading the random trivia facts, & adults taking photos to share w/others. That door cost me nothing to make!

If you're not on Pinterest, check it outgreat source for ideas.

Thank you for the kindness of a response.
First
Page 1 of 2
Last