Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Retention

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
Basic Member
+6
6 years ago
I have an 8th grade Special Education student who is facing retention.  What is your opinion?
Basic Member
+7
6 years ago
It depends on the circumstances to me. Is the student trying to succeed or is he just too low to mastery the grade level work?
Basic Member
+9
6 years ago
Quote from Loretta Sparn
I have an 8th grade Special Education student who is facing retention.? What is your opinion?

Will retaining the student be beneficial to him/her? Are there interventions that can be implemented to deter retention?

Last updated: 6 years ago

Basic Member
+2
5 years ago
Quote from Loretta Sparn
I have an 8th grade Special Education student who is facing retention.? What is your opinion?

Is the retention for academic or social reasons? Is it because work is missing? Has the anticipated level not been grasped?
Basic Member
+2
4 years ago
I have a student who really benefited from being retained. However, this was in the lower elementary grades. I think that retention is ultimately only necessary when the student does not have the prerequisite skills to succeed in the next grade level. However, in my state, the rules governing retention of students with IEPs are very strict. The assignments should be scaffolded to ensure that they are able to reach success according to their ability level.
Basic Member
+2
4 years ago
Quote from MayJay@Ivy
I have a student who really benefited from being retained. However, this was in the lower elementary grades. I think that retention is ultimately only necessary when the student does not have the prerequisite skills to succeed in the next grade level. However, in my state, the rules governing retention of students with IEPs are very strict. The assignments should be scaffolded to ensure that they are able to reach success according to their ability level.

I concur with your statement in which you wrote"...I think that retention is ultimately only necessary when the student does not have the prerequisite skills to succeed in the next grade level."
+5
4 years ago
In my state, it's almost always frowned upon in upper grades, due primarily to the negative social impact it might have on the student. Plans are implemented to bring that student closer to meeting the requirements for the next grade prior to entering it.
Basic Member
+2
4 years ago
Quote from mikblank
In my state, it's almost always frowned upon in upper grades, due primarily to the negative social impact it might have on the student. Plans are implemented to bring that student closer to meeting the requirements for the next grade prior to entering it.

How so? Credit Recovery? Tutoring?
Basic Member
4 years ago
Quote from eortiz@conwell-egan.org
Quote from MayJay@Ivy

I concur with your statement in which you wrote"...I think that retention is ultimately only necessary when the student does not have the prerequisite skills to succeed in the next grade level."

I agree with the above! I have had to pass on students to the next grade in primary due to the lack of administrative support, the lack of parent support, the lack of willingness on the part of parents/guardians to attend Student Success Team meetings, IEP meetings, unwillingness to sign off on in school intervention permission forms, inability or unwillingness to get their child to school on time or at all.

It is extremely frustrating for the all when a child has absolutely no academic skills due to lack of school attendance or unmet academic or social emotional needs.

If the school administrator/teacher/parents can work as a team to identify needs and implement interventions then retention in the lower grades would not need to happen.

Sadly, far too many who are retained never get the interventions they need to catch up to grade level.

When a child has severe academic or behavioral deficits they often have little to no stamina in the classroom and often interrupt the learning of others.

I have had students not retained due to their use physical size.
4 years ago
Quote from Hupa2nd16
Quote from eortiz@conwell-egan.org
Quote from MayJay@Ivy

I agree with the above! I have had to pass on students to the next grade in primary due to the lack of administrative support, the lack of parent support, the lack of willingness on the part of parents/guardians to attend Student Success Team meetings, IEP meetings, unwillingness to sign off on in school intervention permission forms, inability or unwillingness to get their child to school on time or at all.

It is extremely frustrating for the all when a child has absolutely no academic skills due to lack of school attendance or unmet academic or social emotional needs.

If the school administrator/teacher/parents can work as a team to identify needs and implement interventions then retention in the lower grades would not need to happen.

Sadly, far too many who are retained never get the interventions they need to catch up to grade level.

When a child has severe academic or behavioral deficits they often have little to no stamina in the classroom and often interrupt the learning of others.

I have had students not retained due to their use physical size.

If I child is not ready by second grade, I think we harm more in passing to the next grade level. They should have a special class where they can learn what they are missing. I think that is more beneficial than to pass to higher grades and then students will drop out at the age of 16.
First
Page 1 of 2
Last