Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Online research skills!!!

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
Basic Member
7 years ago
The biggest problem I am facing these days is teaching upper elementary and middle school students how to search online. I am currently looking for a program or lesson plans that explains in detail every step of the process.

Can anyone help please? :)
Basic Member
7 years ago
Quote from Nathalie Hanna Shaikh
The biggest problem I am facing these days is teaching upper elementary and middle school students how to search online. I am currently looking for a program or lesson plans that explains in detail every step of the process.

Hi Nathalie,

Check out this url the site is an infograph packed full of great google searching ideas!

http://mashable.com/2011/11/24/google-search-infographic/

Enjoy, Roey
Basic Member
7 years ago

I am right there with you. My students are writing a 5 W paper. They want to put the topic in the engine and go with option number one. I have found encouraging students to include "scholar" with topic helpful.
+5
7 years ago

Nathalie,

Like the previous posters mentioned, Google does have some resources available. The below website might be a good place to start.

http://edudemic.com/2012/11/students-better-online-researchers/
+3
7 years ago
ReadWriteThink has some great lessons for teaching about online research skills and ways to evaluate the things that are found.

These are some that might be helpful:

Inquiry on the Internet: Evaluating Web Pages for a Class Collection

Research Building Blocks: Examining Electronic Sources

Wading Through the Web: Teaching Internet Research Strategies

Basic Member
+6
7 years ago
Try Instagrok.com. It is free to use but if you want to enable your students to use it fully it costs $35.00 but you get it for a year and you get 200 accounts. So you could work with others in your school and get quite a few students involved.

It give the students quick facts, additional websites, video, images and on the left side is a graphic organizer where you can pin the facts you plan to use. This translates into an outline as well. You can determine the difficulty of the search as well.

Using it for the second year and love it!
Basic Member
+6
7 years ago
Quote from Dona
Try Instagrok.com. It is free to use but if you want to enable your students to use it fully it costs $35.00 but you get it for a year and you get 200 accounts. So you could work with others in your school and get quite a few students involved.

It give the students quick facts, additional websites, video, images and on the left side is a graphic organizer where you can pin the facts you plan to use. This translates into an outline as well. You can determine the difficulty of the search as well.

Wow! That is an awesome site!!!!!!! In my 10th grade English class we are currently beginning research on human rights activists from around the world. This site will definitely enhance the learning of my students.

Thanks for sharing!

PS I don't usually use so many exclamation marks, but I am very excited by this resource. :)

Basic Member
+8
7 years ago

I teach 6th-8th grade English and love using a DVD series by Schlessinger Media called "Research Skills for Students" for our Research Paper. When we watch them the kids always think they are a little lame (The acting is pretty bad...), but usually report that the lessons were helpful. Each DVD covers a different topic from Plagiarism to Evaluating Sources to Organizing Research. The program is a little pricey, but I've also found them at the local library.
Basic Member
+9
7 years ago
Quote from Dona

Thanks for the post, I think that is pretty reasonable. I was not aware of this site.
Basic Member
+9
7 years ago
Thanks to all! I too, have been looking for ways to teach online research skills. We seen to think that our students just automatically know how to do this since they have grown up with the internet. Definitely not so. All they want to do is type in the question and get a quick answer. The first one will do!

Last updated: 7 years ago

First
Page 1 of 2
Last