Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Discipline in the Classroom - Interesting Article on How Discipline is Evolving

First
Page 1 of 1
Last
Basic Member
+2
Basic Member
+7
5 years ago
I am thankful to work in a school where admin and most of the teachers are looking for the underlying causes of misbehaviors. You just never know what a child is facing at home if they don't feel like they can trust you or be safe with you.  

I have had a few students in my past that this article reminded me about. I would meet all students at the door in the morning to welcome them and also stop some behaviors that we're extending from home.
Basic Member
+4
2 years ago

I know this is a few years old but I still found it interesting. I feel that some schools have indeed had the pendulum swing from one extreme to the other. Teachers are not getting enough help with handling discipline problems and have no discipline tools left to use. I agree that "zero tolerance was mindless" but students do need to face some consequences for their actions.
Basic Member
2 weeks ago
Once again, another user that is pretty late, i am sorry for that. However, despite the fact that this article is already 5 years old, i actually consider it really good, and still very actual, even for the year 2020. A problem that every single teacher faced, and is still facing, the disciplinary one. Well, as said above, i consider that teachers do not have enough ''tools'' to prevent or just to solve this kind of problems. And what i really do not like, is the fact that when facing such a problem, most teachers, don't even try to understand why did itactually happen. That makes me anxious sometimes. You are responsible for that child, not only for the knowledge, but also the behaviour he is having, you are the second person after his parents in these terms. A good friend of mine is working for a defamation lawyer firm, it is minclaw.com. He told me a thing that i really liked. As long as the teacher is ignorant, the same will be his pupils.

Last updated: 2 weeks ago

First
Page 1 of 1
Last