Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Spelling Tests

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
Basic Member
+8
3 years ago
What are your thoughts about spelling tests?  Do you give spelling tests?
Basic Member
2 years ago
Our curriculum has weekly spelling lists. I give the students the main 20 words to study during the week and then I throw in 2 "challenge words" that they haven't seen but go along with the weekly spelling. The challenge words are bonus only, and it is sometimes amazing what words they end up spelling.
Basic Member
+2
2 years ago
The presence of spell check makes spelling tests still very necessary. Liked the ideas of using groups of 4 students to try and guess the definitions of words using context, then using technology to write with the words and publishing their work. Somehow by knowing that others will be reading their material students seem to put forth more of the effort and work harder.
Basic Member
2 years ago
I agree! Middle schoolers are having a difficult time spelling. When they get the 'squiggly' line for misspelled words, they have no idea why it's wrong.
Basic Member
2 years ago
I do give spelling tests. I look for the prefixes, suffixes and roots that students are suppose to know at grade level and pick one word component a week. Our first spelling list included dis- prefixes. Students gave me dis- words where the root could stand alone as a word. After looking at the prefix and the roots, students were asked what they thought the root meant. Then we chose 10 words out of the contributions. They voted on 8 and I voted on 2 for the spelling test.
2 years ago
I also give spelling tests. They are a part of the Reading program we use. The lists have 15 words related by vowel sound or word family. The students are excited when they see their spelling words in their reading, and will often come point them out. (I teach third graders.)
Basic Member
2 years ago
It must be a "third grade" thing. My kids do it too. Sometimes that are so excited and shocked to see the word somewhere other than their spelling book.
+2
2 years ago
I do not.

I have been considering the possibility of a spelling tests in conjunction with vocabulary reviews.
2 years ago
I believe spelling activities and practices are very important for our children. With the use of predictive text on our phones, "text lingo", and the spell check applications on some programs, it enables our children to not focus on correct spelling. When they get into a job or setting where the programs don't have those features, we want them to be prepared. My goal is to have the spell check resources as a backup rather than the students crutch.
2 years ago
I like the idea there is an app to help students with spelling. I understand your average student and above need to practice. However, if they have a phonological awareness disorder this will be a resource to help build confidence.
First
Page 1 of 2
Last