Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Is cursive writing important?

First
Page 1 of 11
Last
Basic Member
+8
4 years ago
The subject of students not being able to write or sign their names in cursive has been a sore subject in our community. Do you feel it is important to teach? Or do you feel it is outdated and technology will be substituted for signatures and writing in the future?
Basic Member
+4
4 years ago
Cursive writing is important.  There are a few research articles out there explaining how the motion of our hands while writing sends messages to the brain that typing cannot.  I thought this article last summer in the NYTimes was pretty good: 

NYTimes on handwriting
Basic Member
4 years ago
I feel like it's important as well.  I just think we have pushed it aside to try and do other things that have been mandated.
Basic Member
+8
4 years ago
Our high school business teacher has been telling everyone how important cursive is. According to him, I agree, students still need to sign off on various forms and contracts when they are working. They also need to be able to read cursive. He writes all of his tests out in cursive to see how well the students do. The man has beautiful handwriting. I have had to teach cursive this year to a seventh grader that never had to learn it. He came in needing it as he was applying for a part time job and asked to write, in cursive, why he wanted the job.
Basic Member
+8
4 years ago
I believe it is still important.  However, I can see that all the way down to Kindergarten students are so engrossed in technology that handwriting is not valued.  I love technology.  But, I believe we need a balance.  We are even promoting that students just type their answers on devices.  I have seen handwriting in K-2 decline over the years.
+4
4 years ago
I remember as an elementary-aged student my older sister learning how to take shorthand in high school.  It was considered a required skill for secretarial staff.  Shorthand is gone now, as actually are most secretaries.
Basic Member
+8
4 years ago
Quote from Lori-Anne
Cursive writing is important. ?There are a few research articles out there explaining how the motion of our hands while writing sends messages to the brain that typing cannot. ?I thought this article last summer in the NYTimes was pretty good:?

NYTimes on handwriting

I've heard this also. I believe it from personal experience. I'm better at remembering things if I write them in cursive versus printing or typing.
+6
4 years ago
My daughter has dyslexia and cursive was a life saver!  Typing is a life saver for others but nothing fits all students.  

Cursive helps students with disabilities

Students with learning disabilities, specifically dyslexia, can have a very hard time with writing in print because many of the letters look similar, particularly b and d. On the contrary, cursive writing offers each letter a very different look. This gives dyslexic students another option ??an option that can decrease their dyslexic tendencies and make them more confident in their abilities.

Taken from:?http://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/curriculum-instruction/5-reasons-cursive-writing-should-be-taught-in-school/

Last updated: 4 years ago

+8
4 years ago
Quote from Leah Lester
My daughter has dyslexia and cursive was a life saver! ?Typing is a life saver for others but nothing fits all students. ?

Cursive helps students with disabilities

Students with learning disabilities, specifically dyslexia, can have a very hard time with writing in print because many of the letters look similar, particularly b and d. On the contrary, cursive writing offers each letter a very different look. This gives dyslexic students another option ??an option that can decrease their dyslexic tendencies and make them more confident in their abilities.

Taken from:?http://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/curriculum-instruction/5-reasons-cursive-writing-should-be-taught-in-school/

I think it is important for students to know how to write cursive. It helps them in many way. In my state it became mandatory to learn. I am glad that is coming back.
Basic Member
+8
4 years ago
I also feel it's important but we also come across the problem of when to teach it.  I have started printing my own worksheet for my children to carry home to practice. My high schooler can't write in cursive. She was taught in 2nd and 3rd how to write in cursive but it wasn't required after that. She has terrible writing. Lol
First
Page 1 of 11
Last