Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Sites containing high interest to be used with students with low reading ability

First
Page 1 of 4
Last
Basic Member
5 years ago
Hi Simple K12 Community. I am working with students identified with learning disabilities in reading. I am hoping someone will know of resources available that have high interest (3rd, 4th ,5th grade curricular topics) but require low ability to read/use material. Thanks!
+8
5 years ago
Quote from kwentz
Hi Simple K12 Community. I am working with students identified with learning disabilities in reading. I am hoping someone will know of resources available that have high interest (3rd, 4th ,5th grade curricular topics) but require low ability to read/use material. Thanks!

Newsela.com

That has some reading levels.
Basic Member
4 years ago
Thanks for the Newsela web site.
Basic Member
4 years ago
Reading A-Z! It has a wide variety of books with different topics and differentiated levels. In fact, students may even be able to go on and look for a book they prefer! I use this for my 3-5th graders, as it is a simple and easy resource to access... they also have worksheets to go along with the story, different ELA skills to learn, and full lesson plan ideas with the story! You can search by title, reading level, or topic you are working on (main idea, inferencing, etc.) Hope this helps!
Basic Member
+10
4 years ago
Quote from Kristina Smith
Reading A-Z! It has a wide variety of books with different topics and differentiated levels. In fact, students may even be able to go on and look for a book they prefer! I use this for my 3-5th graders, as it is a simple and easy resource to access... they also have worksheets to go along with the story, different ELA skills to learn, and full lesson plan ideas with the story! You can search by title, reading level, or topic you are working on (main idea, inferencing, etc.) Hope this helps!

I am familiar with the Reading A-Z site. My students have improved quite much from its use. Best to you. :)
Basic Member
3 years ago
wikipedia

Last updated: 3 years ago

+8
3 years ago
You can also use this site to change the levels of the reading you are using in your class.

https://rewordify.com
+8
3 years ago
Quote from Dick Briggs
Thanks for the Newsela web site.

Yes ! Newsela is awesome. You usually can get 5 different reading levels with the same article. It allows you to differentiate the reading, but still allow everyone to participate in the discussion of the subject.
Basic Member
3 years ago
Another thing to consider is using Google add-on to have the students access ANY website by having it read to them. My district is going one-to-one and we are Google education schools. We are not only having students access websites with the text to speech apps (add-ons), but we are saving time for these students to do online tests using text to speech. It takes time for students to get used to this approach, but it works! I don't even have to type the tests. Once it is turned on, it works!

RAZ kids (mentioned as A-Z reading) also has books that are read to the student, but then they read the book independently and take the quiz. Go the extra mile and not only do A-Z reading, but RAZ kids.
2 years ago
This is what I need. Do you know what the add-ons are for text to speech with Google?
First
Page 1 of 4
Last