Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Homework or no Homework

First
Page 1 of 6
Last
Basic Member
+6
6 years ago
I recently watched a webinar discussing the pros and cons (mostly cons) of giving homework. I don't give much homework at all, but there are times it is needed. The webinar suggested that we have plenty of time in our classes to give meaningful work so they do not have to do it at home. I know some subjects need to send work home to practice so it is needed. I grew up doing homework every night which prepared me for college and created a work ethic that formed me as a student. Many parents don't complain if they practice for three or four hours a night doing extracurricular activities. Many students will not use any of those skills once they get older. I was just interested on why so many people are against homework (reasonable amount) in our schools and society today. Tell me what you think.
Basic Member
+2
6 years ago
I do agree that for reinforcement some homework is necessary. I work in a Regional ED High school program and the homework assignments issued are few and far between. I can speak from experience that my daughter participated in an International Baccalaureate program and she had hours of homework every night. She is now in college and says that she is thankful she had the rigors and structure of homework because now in college she has homework every class she attends. I suppose it depends on the level of learning, your curriculum and student population. I personally agree that homework is important, just as important as extra- curricular and sports are.
Basic Member
+6
6 years ago
Judi,

I agree with what you are saying. I also think homework needs to be done sometimes. Students need to be ready for college because we know they will get it there.
Basic Member
6 years ago
I work in a k-8 school. For the most part with the exception of kindergarten, students have some homework each night. These assignments are not overly time consuming. These assignments are typically math or language arts related and used as reinforcement for skills addressed during that day. These assignments also let the parents know what their child is learning during that week.
+7
6 years ago
Quote from Shirley Pranaitis
I work in a k-8 school. For the most part with the exception of kindergarten, students have some homework each night. These assignments are not overly time consuming. These assignments are typically math or language arts related and used as reinforcement for skills addressed during that day. These assignments also let the parents know what their child is learning during that week.

I am not sure about this one. I think if they can read 30 minutes every day, I will be extremely happy. Now, about giving homework, we have to give something to reinforce what they know. We also need to be sure that they can do it on their own.
Basic Member
+2
6 years ago
Homework is necessary. At my school it is mostly math that is sent home every night for homework (K-8). The high school is very different. There is History, Math, and English homework almost every night and this isn't easy work. In History and English the students are writing 10 page research papers with annotated bibliographies. I have stayed up many a nights with my girls, until midnight, helping with this.

When I grew up I had homework every night.
+6
6 years ago
I send math homework each night to practice the skill we worked on that day and recommend they spend some time on IXL or Khan to work on skills they need to review. I also expect 30 minutes of reading each night. This allows parents to see what they are working on and participate if they wish to.
+7
6 years ago
Quote from Chad Akridge
I recently watched a webinar discussing the pros and cons (mostly cons) of giving homework. I don't give much homework at all, but there are times it is needed. The webinar suggested that we have plenty of time in our classes to give meaningful work so they do not have to do it at home. I know some subjects need to send work home to practice so it is needed. I grew up doing homework every night which prepared me for college and created a work ethic that formed me as a student. Many parents don't complain if they practice for three or four hours a night doing extracurricular activities. Many students will not use any of those skills once they get older. I was just interested on why so many people are against homework (reasonable amount) in our schools and society today. Tell me what you think.

Hi Chad! I do agree with homework when we need students to practise or revise some stuff they need. If not, I tend not to give them homework because they never do it, they copy it or... it is done by their parents! Smiles, Maria :)

Basic Member
+6
6 years ago
Quote from Maria Bossa
Quote from Chad Akridge

Hi Chad! I do agree with homework when we need students to practise or revise some stuff they need. If not, I tend not to give them homework because they never do it, they copy it or... it is done by their parents! Smiles, Maria :)

Many of us seem to be in agreement about homework. Welcome to the U.S.! You really can't get the full experience unless you experience the weather of the South! Have a good trip!

+7
6 years ago
Quote from Chad Akridge
Quote from Maria Bossa
Quote from Chad Akridge

Maria, I totally agree with you. I have the same position about homework.

Mariel NC

Many of us seem to be in agreement about homework. Welcome to the U.S.! You really can't get the full experience unless you experience the weather of the South! Have a good trip!

First
Page 1 of 6
Last