Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Implementing art in secondary language arts

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
Basic Member
+3
5 years ago
So I've been hearing that the new tests are going to require students to be able to look at artwork and write about it. So I've been trying to look for artwork to show with the literature I'm teaching, but I'm having a hard time. I tried googling images, but it didn't go very well. I wonder if I can get advice on two things: First, how to find good artwork to go with the literature I'm covering (for example, I thought for teaching native American literature and the puritans, I would show artwork that portrayed that time period in the United States). The other thing I need advice on is how to learn a little about the art. I don't know a lot about art, so I don't want to teach incorrectly about a specific piece, or even how to read art in general. Thanks in advance.
+8
5 years ago
Quote from Ms. Natalia Romero
So I've been hearing that the new tests are going to require students to be able to look at artwork and write about it. So I've been trying to look for artwork to show with the literature I'm teaching, but I'm having a hard time. I tried googling images, but it didn't go very well. I wonder if I can get advice on two things: First, how to find good artwork to go with the literature I'm covering (for example, I thought for teaching native American literature and the puritans, I would show artwork that portrayed that time period in the United States). The other thing I need advice on is how to learn a little about the art. I don't know a lot about art, so I don't want to teach incorrectly about a specific piece, or even how to read art in general. Thanks in advance.

I have found this site: http://www.getty.edu/education/teachers/classroom_resources/curricula/arts_lang_arts/a_la_lesson_plan_index01.html

I hope it helps you.

Mariel
Basic Member
+3
5 years ago
Thanks! You always have something to give!! :D
+8
5 years ago
Thanks! You always have something to give!! :D

You are welcome Natalia. It is my pleasure to share with other teachers. I hope we can do something together with our students.

Mariel
Basic Member
+3
5 years ago
Oh, that would be so cool! I'm definitely open to ideas!! :D Thanks again!
+3
5 years ago
This might be something I could do in my Computer Classes!
+8
5 years ago
Quote from Arlene Talbert
This might be something I could do in my Computer Classes!

Absolutely, Arlene. Have a wonderful year. I am not sure if you have started or not. Today is my first day. I am so excited that I am already here at the school and it is 6 am.
Basic Member
+7
5 years ago
I teach this period also. I didn't know they would have to write about art! One suggestion that may be outside the box would be to freeze and create still frames from movies. I teach The Crucible and I was thinking about certain scenes in the movie that could be used to inspire writing. The period clothing, culture, religious beliefs, and laws could be discussed by framing a scene.
Basic Member
+3
5 years ago
What other books do you teach the 11th grade? I am reading The Scarlet Letter (I haven't read since I was in 11th grade!) but it seems too advanced for the regular. What do you think? I also started reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn but it also seems very hard with all of the dialects and the specificity of the cultural refernces that they need to understand to understand what's going on. I didn't really like the Great Gatsby that much... I don't know what else to read....
Basic Member
+10
5 years ago

Google... Might help. Then seek tips from artists or higher learning organizations. The, if you can find one who is an expert in the area you are searching, ask an artist. That way, you learn from someone who actually knows, not just read about it. :)
First
Page 1 of 2
Last