Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Collaboration

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
Basic Member
4 years ago
Working with multiple grade levels often makes planning and collaboration challenging. How do we make the time to plan and collaborate with EACH grade level team, implement new strategies/ideas, and discuss student progress? In addition, how do you approach a team member who is making meeting difficult (i.e. scheduling team meetings without you/your input)?
Basic Member
+7
4 years ago
It is hard to find time when multiple grades and disciplines are being taught. My fellow teachers and I often have to meet during break or before school. Unfortunately, we don't get as much time as we need so that leaves us to go at it alone. If we have specific questions we try and find each other. We are instituting a new way to approach PD county wide. We are using early dismissal for students once a month in order to get some time to meet with other teachers. We will see if this works.
Basic Member
+10
4 years ago
Quote from Chad Akridge
It is hard to find time when multiple grades and disciplines are being taught. My fellow teachers and I often have to meet during break or before school. Unfortunately, we don't get as much time as we need so that leaves us to go at it alone. If we have specific questions we try and find each other. We are instituting a new way to approach PD county wide. We are using early dismissal for students once a month in order to get some time to meet with other teachers. We will see if this works.

Your sharing is much like what is done where I work. :)
+8
4 years ago
Are you using Google documents? You can chat and write as well.
Basic Member
4 years ago
In nine years of teaching, I have definitely worked with a variety of co-teachers from less to more cooperative and open to different things. It so varies from person to person, some you have to just suggest things more slowly whenever you can. Others, I have had the opportunity to meet regularly and actually plan! You just have to figure out what is going to work for the current relationship. Suggesting different activities or different ways of presenting the content is something I try to often do to meet the needs of various types of learners in the classroom. Trying to think of ways of using the resources special education teachers have to add to the lessons is also a good idea.
+8
4 years ago
Quote from Chrystal E
In nine years of teaching, I have definitely worked with a variety of co-teachers from less to more cooperative and open to different things. It so varies from person to person, some you have to just suggest things more slowly whenever you can. Others, I have had the opportunity to meet regularly and actually plan! You just have to figure out what is going to work for the current relationship. Suggesting different activities or different ways of presenting the content is something I try to often do to meet the needs of various types of learners in the classroom. Trying to think of ways of using the resources special education teachers have to add to the lessons is also a good idea.

I am co-teaching with language arts teachers. My best advice plan together.
Basic Member
4 years ago
I have always had a difficult time planning with multiple grade levels/multiple teachers. It must be one of those universal problems...there never is enough time for good collaboration! I actually found, this year, that I meet at a scheduled time each week with one grade level during my lunch (their planning period). Not ideal, my lunch is then quite late, but I do get my time. Another grade level communicates mostly through e-mails. Each year is different.
3 weeks ago
Teacher collaboration is more successful when teachers have goals and shared values. Shared goals may both encourage and result from collaboration.

Check out, In Perspective

http://www.in-perspective.org/pages/teacher-collaboration-a-discussion-guide-goals
3 weeks ago
Quote from Megan Nicholson
Working with multiple grade levels often makes planning and collaboration challenging. How do we make the time to plan and collaborate with EACH grade level team, implement new strategies/ideas, and discuss student progress? In addition, how do you approach a team member who is making meeting difficult (i.e. scheduling team meetings without you/your input)?

In my experience, if a certain person can't come to a meeting, I or another will take detailed notes (Google Docs is great for this!) and share it with them, so that we can still meet and discuss what's going on, but not delay the process of implementing new plans or curriculum. If the person who was being difficult feels left out of the process, then maybe confront them (in a kind way) and tell them why they weren't included. If the problem persists, be more firm with them.
2 weeks ago
I can relate to your post. I teach multiple subject levels as well as different grade levels. Why did I have to get three degrees? Ha-ha! I teach Special Education for 8th grade, but also have a couple of sections from 6th and 7th grade. On top of that I also teach Physical Education and coach. Finding common planning time has always been a challenge, especially when I am a Direct Consultant as well. How does one close this gap? I have tried google docs where I place my lesson plans in order for the teachers to view them and hopefully we can communicate that way?
First
Page 1 of 2
Last