Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Putting Common Core Standards to Work in Social Studies

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
Basic Member
+5
6 years ago
Hi

We are all well aware of the Common Core standards. I am wondering what has been the most difficult aspect of implementing the standards for you as a teacher? Has anyone received any training on Common Core?

Looking forward to your comments.
Basic Member
6 years ago
I am an International Teacher. Last year was the first year I used Common Core with my 4th graders in Cairo, Egypt. I only implemented ELA and Math. I loved it! The biggest challenges for me were:

1. It took some extra effort and time to plan and pull new lessons and activities focused on the common core.

2. It was a whole new way of evaluating and grading. I switched to a Common Core grade book I found on TPT halfway through the year and it worked much better for tracking my students' mastery of standards.

We used the online MAP testing 3x during the year and I found the immediate feedback an excellent tool in reflecting on my lesson planning and differentiation. I am looking forward to using Common Core and MAP again this year with my students in Rwanda.
Basic Member
4 years ago
We are currently in training focused on Common Core in Social Studies. There is great emphasis placed on reading.
Basic Member
+2
4 years ago
I am attending a workshop on the new Social Studies standards as I write this.
Basic Member
4 years ago
I teach Junior Kindergarten, and it isn`t easy to get them to comprehend concept of towns, then states, then countries etc. I am trying to get ideas with common core, to help me with this. They understand where they live, but to explain around the world?

I enjoyed the SimpleK12 ideas, and the webinars, videos.

Last updated: 4 years ago

4 years ago
Let's work together!
Basic Member
4 years ago
Ok, I look forward to it
Basic Member
4 years ago
HI Kimmie12

We have lots of globes in our classroom. Hands on fun.
Basic Member
4 years ago
The standards don't look difficult at first sight but once you put it to work it can be difficult for all students to achieve them so differentiation is the challenge!
Basic Member
4 years ago
Hi Kimmie12 I am a 2nd grade teacher and I use the resources in my classroom of literature, smartboard exchange, and hands on activites!Best of luck to you
First
Page 1 of 2
Last