Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

How are you keeping track of your grades?

First
Page 1 of 4
Last
Basic Member
5 years ago
I am a first grade teacher and do not use points to keep track of students' progress. We do not use typical letter grades or percentages in our lower grade levels. Just curious to hear from other teachers as to how you are tracking your younger students' progress and how are you maintaining your data/records? Thanks!
Basic Member
+7
5 years ago
I've been out of the General Education classroom for 8 years (teaching Special Education), so I've used traditional grades. I recorded their grades in excess and then sent them to the classroom teachers.

I may not remember correctly, our Kinder teachers use checklists to indicate whether or not students have mastered certain skills. I'm not sure how they track that data. It used to be on clipboards, but I suspect there's some digital way they do it now.

Our first grade teachers use a combination of skills and grades. From second grade up, we use traditional grades. Our district provides a gradebook for the entire district. This allows grades to be transferred from school to school as needed. Anyone with appropriate credentials and access can look up to see how a student is performing.

I'd know more if school had started...although I'm certainly glad it's still summer! ;oD

Jimmie
+7
5 years ago
Quote from Jimmie B
I've been out of the General Education classroom for 8 years (teaching Special Education), so I've used traditional grades. I recorded their grades in excess and then sent them to the classroom teachers.

I may not remember correctly, our Kinder teachers use checklists to indicate whether or not students have mastered certain skills. I'm not sure how they track that data. It used to be on clipboards, but I suspect there's some digital way they do it now.

Our first grade teachers use a combination of skills and grades. From second grade up, we use traditional grades. Our district provides a gradebook for the entire district. This allows grades to be transferred from school to school as needed. Anyone with appropriate credentials and access can look up to see how a student is performing.

I'd know more if school had started...although I'm certainly glad it's still summer! ;oD

Jimmie

I am sure that there is an APP to do all this. I like the idea of the checklist!
+3
5 years ago
I too would like to know about that App. The grading would be so much easier.
Basic Member
+7
5 years ago
A quick Google search for "online teacher gradebook" brought up this article, The 5 Best Free Gradebook Tools for Teachers. Here's the link:

http://elearningindustry.com/the-5-best-free-gradebook-tools-for-teachers

Our district uses #4, Engrade. I haven't used it much because only teachers of record or specials (art, music, PE) were given accounts. I submitted my grades to the teachers and they put them into their gradebooks. So I can't tell you much about how it works. However, we're a large district, and we've been using it for a while now. We no longer have to do report cards by hand or print out our own. Admin and tech can view our grade books. Parents can access the grades for their own student(s). Our district runs off the report cards and delivers them to the campuses. From all I've heard, it works very well for us.

I don't know any of the other systems listed in this article; however, gradebook #1 was also the top google reponse for free gradebooks. Anything above it had a cost.

Jimmie
Basic Member
+8
5 years ago
Our school district uses PowerSchool for attendance and grades. Teachers use a teacher portal (grade book) to put in assignments and grades. Grades average and automatically update. In addition, there is a parent portal that parents can set up to view their child's assignments/grades at any time. Parents can even set up their account to receive text or email every time a grade is posted. Also, children in different grades can be set up on one account so parents don't have to look in separate accounts for different children. Parents can also view attendance totals, tardies/early dismissals, lunch account balances, etc.. I'm not sure about checklists. I will try to find out next week and let you know. I have included a link if anyone is interested in checking it out. http://www.pearsonschoolsystems.com/products/powerschool/
Basic Member
+9
5 years ago
Quote from Carrie Maisonet
I am a first grade teacher and do not use points to keep track of students' progress. We do not use typical letter grades or percentages in our lower grade levels. Just curious to hear from other teachers as to how you are tracking your younger students' progress and how are you maintaining your data/records? Thanks!

What do you use?
Basic Member
+9
5 years ago
Quote from Jimmie B
A quick Google search for "online teacher gradebook" brought up this article, The 5 Best Free Gradebook Tools for Teachers. Here's the link:

http://elearningindustry.com/the-5-best-free-gradebook-tools-for-teachers

Our district uses #4, Engrade. I haven't used it much because only teachers of record or specials (art, music, PE) were given accounts. I submitted my grades to the teachers and they put them into their gradebooks. So I can't tell you much about how it works. However, we're a large district, and we've been using it for a while now. We no longer have to do report cards by hand or print out our own. Admin and tech can view our grade books. Parents can access the grades for their own student(s). Our district runs off the report cards and delivers them to the campuses. From all I've heard, it works very well for us.

I don't know any of the other systems listed in this article; however, gradebook #1 was also the top google reponse for free gradebooks. Anything above it had a cost.

Jimmie

We use the Pearson digital gradebook in my district.
Basic Member
+9
5 years ago
Pearson PowerTeacher
Basic Member
+9
5 years ago
Pearson PowerTeacher/PowerSchool products are used in my district.
First
Page 1 of 4
Last