Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Teaching with only 1 iPad

First
Page 1 of 5
Last
Basic Member
+5
5 years ago
I've just attended a week-long training in my county during which we were each given iPad minis for our classrooms. We spent hours exploring new apps and resources to use with the iPads. I've also watched several webinars on using only one iPad. As a personal iPad user, I'm excited to integrate this tool into my teaching. I'm very comfortable with the software and and apps that I'm going to use.

However, I'm wondering how I can physically use the iPad in my classes? What are some techniques and procedures that I could practice to make sure that all students get the opportunity to use the device (i.e in groups, stations, passing it around the class, etc.).

Could I get some ideas and examples of how others use only one device? Despite content area, could other users give me examples of ways they create opportunities for all students to use one or few iPads? (I teach Spanish and Creative Writing, grades 6-8.)

Thank you!

Last updated: 5 years ago

Basic Member
+7
5 years ago
There is a really good webinar about the 1 iPad classroom. Just search for webinars on iPads and it will show up.
Basic Member
+10
5 years ago
I think that the webinar on a 1 iPad setup is great, too. Best of luck. :)
Basic Member
+10
5 years ago
Quote from Ashley King
I've just attended a week-long training in my county during which we were each given iPad minis for our classrooms. We spent hours exploring new apps and resources to use with the iPads. I've also watched several webinars on using only one iPad. As a personal iPad user, I'm excited to integrate this tool into my teaching. I'm very comfortable with the software and and apps that I'm going to use.

However, I'm wondering how I can physically use the iPad in my classes? What are some techniques and procedures that I could practice to make sure that all students get the opportunity to use the device (i.e in groups, stations, passing it around the class, etc.).

Could I get some ideas and examples of how others use only one device? Despite content area, could other users give me examples of ways they create opportunities for all students to use one or few iPads? (I teach Spanish and Creative Writing, grades 6-8.)

Thank you!

When I have only one digital device, I usually set students up in small groups with a time /day schedule. The schedule allows users the same amount of "hands-on" time. Additional application may take place in other non-homeroom classrooms per collaboration with that teacher. Perhaps, while one person is actually using the digital device, the other may be organizing other parts of what you expect for the final learning/project per your rubric. "Hands-on" application rotates per group members. Hope this makes sense. :)
Basic Member
+7
5 years ago
Quote from sbarnette
There is a really good webinar about the 1 iPad classroom. Just search for webinars on iPads and it will show up.

Thanks for the suggestion. I also attended the same training, and was wondering about using just one iPad fairly in class.
+2
5 years ago
There are lots of ways to use a single iPad...

as a center for research, games, etc

to document the class via photos, videos (and editing for polished final products)

creating multimedia elements for lessons (Tellagami, Explain Everything, Educreations)

sharing class successes (class Twitter acct with student job as "class tweeter" to document the day)

Augmented reality (look at Aurasma, DAQRI, colAR)

Connect with Monica Burns, @ClassTechTips on Twitter and a presenter here at SimpleK12. She does a lot with single iPad settings and limited (not 1:1) iPad settings.

There's also DonorsChoose which you can use to get more iPads so its not a single-iPad-classroom.

Basic Member
+8
5 years ago
You might also look into getting an appletv to use with your iPad. The kids can demo things for the others to see and you can use a whiteboard app to work on the smartboard while moving around the room.
Basic Member
+7
5 years ago
I have been using a single iPad as a station next to me when I am doing guided reading. I chose a quick activity that they can explain and record so that I am rotating through my class at a quick pace.
Basic Member
5 years ago
in our district we have been using AirServer in conjunction with our teacher PC and projector. The cost is a lot less than an AppleTV and does not involve any hardware installation. It will work with old projectors that don't have the connections that are needed for hooking up an AppleTV. Our district bought AirServer in a package and for us it is only 3.99 a license. Each student takes a turn on the ipad and all the students can be involved in the learning process seen on the projector screen. The students get a real kick out of it and are involved in the learning process together.
Basic Member
+3
5 years ago
In addition to the great ideas already listed here: centers, small group, remediation & acceleration... Use your document camera to project the single iPad full screen. Students can come up one at a time to manipulate the iPad like they would on the board to solve and explain problems/solutions. Projecting via the document camera will allow for whole group discussion an/or modeling what to do independently/small group. An AVG adapter is relatively inexpensive, but if you already have a doc cam in your classroom no other hardware is necessary! :)
First
Page 1 of 5
Last