Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Using songs in the English Classroom

First
Page 1 of 5
Last
+7
4 years ago
Hi to you all!

Most of you teach English as part of your curriculum within the Common Core, so I'd like to know how you use songs in your classes. Do you use them to teach vocabulary and grammar or do you use them just for fun?

Thanks! Smiles, Maria :)
Basic Member
+7
4 years ago
I teach high school English and I use song when appropriate. I teach British Lit to seniors. We just finished reading "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. I have a version of that done by Iron Maiden, an eighties metal band. We listen to that after we read the poem. I have also used songs to show the rhyme and meter of poetry. I use them at various times and students seem to like it because it is something different.
+7
4 years ago
Quote from Chad Akridge
I teach high school English and I use song when appropriate. I teach British Lit to seniors. We just finished reading "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. I have a version of that done by Iron Maiden, an eighties metal band. We listen to that after we read the poem. I have also used songs to show the rhyme and meter of poetry. I use them at various times and students seem to like it because it is something different.

wowow... this is lovely!!! I love the song "The lady of Shallot" (I don't remember the Singer) cause my literarute teacher did something similar to what you did! I was fascinated by the activity! Thanks for sharing your experience and for reminding me of my university times! Smiles, Maria :)

Basic Member
+7
4 years ago
Hi Maria,

Although I was not an English teacher I often used sings in my history classes. The songs were used to help teach concepts... music from a particular historical era was used to help students get a feel for what people were thinking at the time. This was especially true regarding the American Revolution and Civil War. In addition there is a book with CD called Flowcabulary which teaches concepts as well as vocabulary but is specific to U.S. History.
Basic Member
+7
4 years ago
Just looked up Flowcabualry and there is a website - www.flocabulary.com (notice that the "w" in flow is not in the website) that also has writing and math hip-hop songs.
+7
4 years ago
Quote from bconboy
Hi Maria,

Although I was not an English teacher I often used sings in my history classes. The songs were used to help teach concepts... music from a particular historical era was used to help students get a feel for what people were thinking at the time. This was especially true regarding the American Revolution and Civil War. In addition there is a book with CD called Flowcabulary which teaches concepts as well as vocabulary but is specific to U.S. History.

Hi!! Thanks very much for your helpful post!! I love when something boring turns into something very exciting!! Tons of smiles, Maria :)

+7
4 years ago
Quote from bconboy
Just looked up Flowcabualry and there is a website - www.flocabulary.com (notice that the "w" in flow is not in the website) that also has writing and math hip-hop songs.

Hi again!! Thanksssssssssssssssssssssssss for such valuable resource!!! Esp for the maths part as I'm a real dummy for numbers!! lol!!

Smiles, Maria :)

+8
4 years ago
Quote from Maria Bossa
Quote from bconboy

Hi again!! Thanksssssssssssssssssssssssss for such valuable resource!!! Esp for the maths part as I'm a real dummy for numbers!! lol!!

Songs are the best way to teach kids. I love them.
Basic Member
+7
4 years ago
Hi Maria,

Glad you like www.flocabualry.com. Hope your students like it as well.

Regards
+7
4 years ago
Quote from Mariel Gomez de la Torre
Quote from Maria Bossa
Quote from bconboy

Songs are the best way to teach kids. I love them.

Agree with you dear Mariel! I also love them!! Smiles, Maria :)

P
First
Page 1 of 5
Last