Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Digital Devices for Visually Impaired Students

First
Page 1 of 2
Last
Basic Member
+10
5 years ago
What provisions, if any, are made for visually impaired students to use digital devices for technological integration in education?
+7
5 years ago
Quote from Colettedavis
What provisions, if any, are made for visually impaired students to use digital devices for technological integration in education?

Hi! Interesting question and post! Unfortunately, nothing is being done here, yet! The only thing is that visually impaired students go to special schools and I really don't know how they manage. I'll find out and I'll share it!

Smiles, Maria :)

Basic Member
+10
5 years ago
Quote from Maria Bossa
Quote from Colettedavis

Hi! Interesting question and post! Unfortunately, nothing is being done here, yet! The only thing is that visually impaired students go to special schools and I really don't know how they manage. I'll find out and I'll share it!

Smiles, Maria :)

Okay. I am excited to learn how they are accomodated in Argentina. Thanks, friend!
+5
5 years ago
Quote from Colettedavis

Hi Colette,

I will try to answer your question as best I can based on what I believe you are asking.

In our district, our students can have access to a variety of electronic/digital assistive technology strategies. As it regards hardware, some are using BrailleNotes or the Braille Sense Note taker to access their notes and textbooks, to generate text documents, access the internet, etc. We also have younger students who use the Mont Batten Brailler to accomplish similar tasks. Laptops/desktop computers with appropriate software/hadware (such as Braille displays) can also be provided as warranted. Handheld talking calculators and dictionaries are issued to students when they show a need for such items. In addition, we are now in the early stages of considering the provision of iPads (when the appropriate accessibility features are available). While this list can go on, please know that our district has three teachers of the visually impaired who assess,train and monitor all intervention strategies they recommend/provide.

If I did not answer your question in the area(s) that you intended, please let me know, and I will try again.

With best regards,

Carolyn
Basic Member
+10
5 years ago
Quote from CBass
Quote from Colettedavis

Hi Colette,

I will try to answer your question as best I can based on what I believe you are asking.

In our district, our students can have access to a variety of electronic/digital assistive technology strategies. As it regards hardware, some are using BrailleNotes or the Braille Sense Note taker to access their notes and textbooks, to generate text documents, access the internet, etc. We also have younger students who use the Mont Batten Brailler to accomplish similar tasks. Laptops/desktop computers with appropriate software/hadware (such as Braille displays) can also be provided as warranted. Handheld talking calculators and dictionaries are issued to students when they show a need for such items. In addition, we are now in the early stages of considering the provision of iPads (when the appropriate accessibility features are available). While this list can go on, please know that our district has three teachers of the visually impaired who assess,train and monitor all intervention strategies they recommend/provide.

If I did not answer your question in the area(s) that you intended, please let me know, and I will try again.

With best regards,

Carolyn

Thanks you so much, Carolyn.
+5
5 years ago
Quote from Colettedavis
Quote from CBass
Quote from Colettedavis

Hi Colette,

With best regards,

Carolyn

Thanks you so much, Carolyn.

You are very welcome!
Basic Member
+7
5 years ago
Well Carolyn,

You kind of stole my thunder on this one! As one of the TBS's (Teacher of Blind Students) mentioned, I like to think of technology this way: Everything that you see on your computer screen is created by a digital language that can actually be read by a computer or similar device. When you see the SimpleK12 logo on this website, there is a piece of computer code that defines and often describes that logo. Students with visual impairments can be taught to use technology by listening to or reading with a braille display what you would read with your eyes.

Depending on the specific eye condition, there are different approaches (soft and hardware) that can accomplish the tasks along with the student's peers.

This list Carolyn gave is not exhaustive, but it gives you a pretty good idea.

For more information you can see the following presentation compiled by another TBS from our district.

http://community.simplek12.com/scripts/student/share/view.asp?id=8500
+5
5 years ago
Quote from Colettedavis

A great resource in South Carolina is the South Carolina Adaptive Technology Program located at http://www.sc.edu/scatp/ Free services, resources, advice!

Best,

Martha
Basic Member
+10
5 years ago
Thanks for this information, Martha.
+7
5 years ago
Quote from Martha Taylor
Quote from Colettedavis

A great resource in South Carolina is the South Carolina Adaptive Technology Program located at http://www.sc.edu/scatp/ Free services, resources, advice!

Best,

Martha

Though I'm far away from you, I have a friend who will find the link you provided very useful! Thanks a lot!! Smiles, Maria :)

First
Page 1 of 2
Last