Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Traditional versus Digital Classroom Settings

First
Page 1 of 1
Last
Basic Member
7 years ago
At the beginning of this school year, we (an 8th grade counselor and I) spoke about the influence of using digital technology instead of traditional (board with chalk or even a dry erase board). The counselor expressed that the more teachers relay on digital technology the less students will apply critical thinking skills. Currently I utilize combination classroom settings. My students enjoy both note-taking from a traditional classroom setting and the use of their portal digital devices (iPhone, iPad, tablet etc...) I encouraged her (in which she has a child in the fourth grade) to find creative ways to support the use of technology while incorporating strategies to promote critical thinking skills both in school and at home. Of course we did not completely agree but she admitted that she appreciates my style of teaching.
+7
7 years ago
I think students will do much better critical thinking using devices. It is us, the teachers who have to create great lessons, and then find the right tool to do it. We need to have great professional development to understand how to integrate technology into our lessons. The problem is that I don't think we have enough training. This is one of the reason why I decided to become a member of simple K12. I needed more training.

Last updated: 7 years ago

Basic Member
+2
7 years ago
Technology in class is only as good as the teacher that is putting it to use. Having students spending class time doing drills on a web site is simply replacing one activity for another.

It's about enhancement. I think too many people that did not grow up from birth using some type of technology cannot possibly understand that kids today view technology as adults view indoor plumbing or electricity. It's just there and it has always been there to them.

Using tools to further traditional learning is a win-win. Students in the past wrote essays in class to describe a book or a process. Today's technology allows them to not only write a traditional essay but use tools like Explain Everything to include graphic illustrations and their own voice recording to explain their paper. This has so many benefits: public speaking skills, the ability to remove the fluff and concisely explain a procedure, build a presentation and just so much more.

If one is using technology to replace current modes of learning, then yes, kids are being shortchanged; if students are using technology to explore a topic further or present material in various forms, it's terrific.

+7
7 years ago
Hi to you all!

I loved reading this post!! Traditional vs Digital... what an interesting topic!!

I believe we (teachers) need to know more about technology before we can include it in the classroom. Most of the teacher training courses have some sessions about ICT however, there are some others which have nothing so teachers know nothing about it.

Apart from this, there are very experienced teachers who reject the use of technology not only because they don't like it but also because they don't understand it. Therefore, there is such a situation!!!

We also have to bear in mind, that (at least in my case), that some students know a lot about "online games" or games in general but know almost nothing about the educational use of the computer. I need them to use some online sites but they need to use a mail account and they don't know how to create an email! Or even worse, when they do have an account, they don't know how to write / send an email. I spend some time at the beginning of the school year to teach them how to use some resources, netiquette and some safe background so they can work in a good way.

I strongly believe we can combine both traditional and digital esp now that most of our editorial houses are including websites to their printed books.

Smiles from Argentina, Maria :)
+7
7 years ago
I totally agree with you Maria. Some teachers are afraid. What they need is to learn how to incorporate technology in their lessons. Technology is just a tool.
Basic Member
10 days ago
It's an interesting topic of discussion. But when I was in college I didn't even think about it, because there were plenty of classes.
First
Page 1 of 1
Last