Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

10 Thanksgiving Activities to Engage Learners

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

Thanksgiving is a great time to get students learning about citizenship and teamwork. Thanksgiving can also be a great time to teach students about other cultures and to spark their creativity! In this webinar, we will discover 10 fun learning activities associated with the holiday. Join Shelly Terrell as she explores some great web tools and apps associated with Thanksgiving.

Details

Subject: General
Last aired on: Thursday, November 6, 2014 @ 3:00 PM EST
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Mobile Learning, Web Tool Overviews
Tags: apps, creativity, cultures, global, holiday activities, Thanksgiving, web tools

Reviews (17)

Shelly: Thank you for the great ideas to teach about culture!
Basic Member
+5

I love these ideas. It is nice to know how many things we can do with Thanksgiving beyond the traditional lessons. Thanks!
+8

Thanks for the great ideas! I'll be sharing these with the teachers in my district.
Basic Member
+2

Great ideas! Thank you.
+5

Thank you!
+10

This will be quite useful for me. Thank you very much.
Basic Member
+4

Great resources to incorporate Thanksgiving into a lesson. I have valuable resources in my District to help validate information used.

Thank you, Shelly! Great ideas!!!
Basic Member

From: http://www.understandingprejudice.org/teach/thanksgiv.htm

Native American images found on Thanksgiving cards, decorations, and school materials are very stereotypic. They are often based on a "composite" view of Native Americans rather than on accurate and diverse Native American lifestyles and traditions. As a consequence, Thanksgiving imagery serves to teach and reinforce children's misinformation and stereotypic thinking about Native Americans, laying a foundation for later prejudice.
Basic Member

Good, quick webinar w/ ideas for Pre-K & up. Short & to the point.
more reviews ...