Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Keeping It Real: Tips and Strategies for Digital Literacy in an Era of Fake News

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

Our "digital natives" may be able to switch effortlessly between Facebook and Twitter while simultaneously uploading a selfie to Instagram and texting a friend, but when it comes to evaluating information from websites and various social media channels, they are usually not as tech savvy. Students and adults are often easily duped and lack the skills to determine what is real and what is not. Join Nikki D Robertson as she provides tips, strategies, and resources to help teach students how to evaluate the authenticity of websites, analyze information found on social media, determine hidden agendas, and avoid falling for hoaxes.

Details

Subject: Other
Last aired on: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 @ 12:00 PM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Digital Citizenship, Internet Searches, Social Media
Tags: agendas, authenticity, digital literacy, evaluating information, evaluating web sites, fake news, social media

Reviews (14)

very good , valid info our older students need

Thank you for the information.
Basic Member

Very useful tips and tools. Thank you.
Basic Member
+2

Great info especially considering today's political climate on social networking sites!

It was helpful. I'd like to see a poster with the basic rules for research on it.
+10

Great info. Thanks!
Basic Member

Love the tips and lesson plan ideas! Great ideas for me to share with staff this year

Fantastic information, I know that I can use this in class. Verifying sources was one of the first things I wanted to discuss when I start teaching argument writing next week. Thank you for the food for thought and the ideas of how to introduce this topic to my students.
Basic Member

Very timely information. I didn't realize how many strategies/resources there were to determine if media news in real or not. Thanks for sharing these helpful tips.
Basic Member

Wonderful Ideas and resources - fast!
more reviews ...