Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Creating Passionate Literacy Environments: Getting Students Excited About Literacy

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

We have the tools to help us be literacy teachers, but how do we create passionate literacy environments for our students? Join Pernille Ripp as she focuses on some of the things we can implement in our classrooms to help students become invested and excited about our literacy communities. Whether you start small with choice and voice in the classroom or create global, collaborative projects, Pernille will share how easy it is to re-ignite a passion for literacy - as long as you have the ideas and the trust in yourself to try them!

Details

Subject: Cross-curricular
Last aired on: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 @ 10:00 AM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Communication & Collaboration, Reading & Writing, Tools for Student Projects
Tags: collaboration, collaborative projects, global projects, literacy

Reviews (24)

Very good, I really liked the emphasis on individualism as far as book abandonment.

I love the emphasis on student choices!

I totally agree that reading logs turns students off to reading. I previously leveled all of my books and am now considering letting that system go. Furthermore, I loved the idea of celebrating when students abandon books and then interviewing them as to why.

This was such an insightful webinar. I really appreciate real classroom applications.
+10

Great info. Thanks!

What an awesome suggestion for allowing students to have a choice on how they might read whole class novels. I can see kids buying into this idea!!! Thank you learned alot!!

Very inspiring this way of being/thinking for the classroom. Thank you!
+1

celebrate when a student is disengaged and wants to change their book- this means that they know more about themselves as a reader, let them find their book.
-love this ^^^^ thanks for all the ways to offer choice i find it to be valuable also.
+2

Thank you for the powerful literacy tips.
I am convinced that empowering students choice is key to a successful literacy program.
Basic Member

Good tips on encouraging student reading by giving them choices.
more reviews ...